Start Me Up and Got it on Lock

Chapter 7

<Hendrix Ramone>

Half an hour later we arrive on Sunset Boulevard in front of the House of Blues. The front doors are propped open with signs directing the bands on where to go. I notice lots of people moving in and out of the building as Maddox drives around back, looking for a parking spot. He pulls into one and grins.

"We're here," He breathes a sigh of relief and we all let out a snicker.

"Let's go!" I shout and grab my guitar from the back.

We all step out and walk at a calm pace back towards the front door. I put a smile on my face and try to exude confidence as we walk into the crowded space. It's abuzz with nervous chatter and people dressed in all black, yelling directions into headsets. Our group walks over to the check in table where a woman, also dressed in black, is examining a clipboard.

"Band name?" She asks in a polite tone.

"Slightly Psychotic," I smirk as she flips through a few pages.

"There you are; you'll be performing at 11 A.M. You guys should be there around ten forty-five to set up and get your mics. Here are your passes; you guys can hang out in the Voodoo Lounge until it's time for you to perform." She hands us each a laminated pass on a lanyard with our call time written on it.

We walk to the Voodoo Lounge and take a seat on the chairs that have been set out for us. There's a snack table and a TV, but not much else in the room. I pull out my phone and put an earbud in my ear. My fingers scroll through my music library quickly until I find a suitable Stones song. I bob along in time to it as I hear a few more people enter the room.

"No, no, no; this can't be happening!" I open my eyes and smirk when I see Beckham standing in the doorway, pulling at her hair.

"Oh, but it is, Princesa." I pull the earbud out of my ear, giving her my full attention.

"Please tell me you aren't here for an audition," She groans.

"What else would I be doing here, Beckham? I've got plenty of other things to do than stalk you." I cross my arms and watch her anger increase.

"Just when I thought this day couldn't get any more stressful you decide to show up." She rolls her eyes and walks over to the snack table, grabbing an apple and exiting the room.

"Good luck," I shout after her but she doesn't respond.

"Do you think I've annoyed her enough for one day?" I ask my friends.

"I think you're just beginning." Noah winks and goes back to typing on his laptop.

"She's got it so bad for you, pretty boy." Maddox claps me on the shoulder and I chuckle a little.

"Don't they all?" I wink but feel my heartbeat speed up a little.

Why is it that every time I'm near a girl we're automatically presumed to be dating? I guess I know how that Harry Styles guy feels now...

~~~~~

I check my phone and shout at my friends that we have to go. They stand up and the four of us walk to the main stage to get fitted for mics and earpieces. A middle-aged man, dressed in the same black attire as the rest of the stage crew, walks towards us and asks for our names. He crosses us off the list and walks us towards a table with tangled wires and sound equipment.

"Here's an earpiece; put it in like an earbud and I'll help you hook it up." The guy says as he places  earpieces in our outstretched hands.

"Who's the lead singer?" He asks after we're all hooked up.