Both Sides of the Story and Pre-Audition Jitters

Chapter 6

<Beckham O'Halloran>

"I'm so sorry I'm late." I say as I walk through the front doors of Treble Note.

I set down the to-go tray of smoothies I was carrying and give Antebellum an apologetic look. She hops off the stage with her arms crossed and takes her smoothie.

"You're off the hook, but only because you went to all the trouble to bring us peace offerings." Antebellum shakes her head and takes a sip of the smoothie as she gets back on stage. "It's time to practice."

I nod and grab the microphone as the rest of the girls get their instruments.

"Which should we start with?" I ask and bite my lip.

"Misery Business because somebody still doesn't look they're having the time of their life when they perform it." Antebellum winks and the instruments begin to play their parts.

"I'm in the business of misery, let's take it from the top. She's got a body like an hourglass that's ticking like a clock. It's a matter of time before we all run out. When I thought he was mine, she caught him by the mouth." I sing, my eyes scanning the mostly empty coffee shop.

Tomorrow, I'm not going to be singing in some dinky coffee shop for the few patrons who are actually paying attention. I'm going to be performing for music executives, for record producers, for people who control my fate in this industry. Do I really know what I've gotten myself into?

Before I know what's happening, I've stopped singing and I'm sitting on the stage with my face buried in my knees. I hear my friends rush over and drop down next to me. I feel someone rub my back comfortingly, while the others whisper, trying to figure what the best thing to say is.

"Beckham," Antebellum begins, but I interrupt her.

"What if I'm not ready for this?" I say, voicing the fear that's been haunting me since Antebellum first announced it.

"Then we'll try again next year; the point is, we have this opportunity now and we need to take it. Just have fun on that stage and no matter what happens tomorrow, know that we're in this together one hundred percent. You aren't alone." Antebellum says as I lift my head.

"I just don't want to screw this up for you guys." I say, rubbing the back of my neck as we all stand up.

"Don't worry, Beckham, one falls, we all fall." Antebellum gives my shoulder a tight squeeze as she begins to pack up the instruments. "You'll be fine; I'm not worried in the slightest."

I nod and help her cart the equipment out to her van with Morley and Rose following close behind. Once everything is packed up, Antebellum pulls all of us into a hug and we stand in the parking lot, reassuring each other that we'll do great tomorrow.

For their sakes', I hope I don't choke.

~~~~~

I toss my house keys into the tray by the door and walk down the hallway in search of my mom. I can hear the sounds of a chick flick coming from the living and what I pray isn't her crying. In a few seconds, I come into the living room and find her laying on the couch with a tub of ice cream and yet another box of tissues.

"You're home early." I comment and force her to move her feet so I can sit next to her.

"My boss called an early day and sent everyone home." She replies, her eyes glued to Ryan Gosling, who's currently professing his love to some girl.