Chapter 3

"Aza?! Oh my god, I'm so glad you're awake!"

I had just barely opened my eyes to a horrid florescent light when a face came into view.

"Tommy?" I tried to croak out. Little spots danced in front of my face as I tried to sit up. Everything seemed to hurt.

"You gave me quite a scare Aza. What the hell happened?" I heard before I got a chance to access my environment and condition more.

Tommy, actually he goes by Thomas, was my older brother's best friend. He had been around as long as I could remember and had always been there for me. Kind of like a second brother. Which, my brother had been more like a parent since our real parents were drug addicts who were always gone or abusing us. So maybe Thomas was more like a second parent, even though he was only 6 years older than me.

He's also a doctor here at the emergency room, so it wouldn't surprise me if he was the one who took care of me as soon as they brought me in. And even though he was in doctor scrubs, meaning he was on duty and shouldn't be yelling at me since I was a patient, I didn't think I'd get off easy when he heard what happened. He had a tendency to be protective of me, just like Alex had. And ever since Alex died, he'd stepped into his shoes since I had no one else.

"I was upset and was trying to get to Camryn's house to talk to her. I don't remember the rest." I croaked out as best I could. My throat was killing me.

"Here drink some water." Thomas told me handing me a cup.

I drank it down eagerly.

"You were brought in after swerving into another lane. You clipped a car causing you to spin and a truck hit the side of your car on the passenger side causing you to flip and roll. The paramedics found you unconscious and bleeding. Your left side took a pretty bad beating; broken leg, dislocated shoulder, a piece of glass under your eye. Your right shoulder was cut and bleeding pretty bad and I imagine your throat will be sore as the seat belt almost strangled you. But the seat belt did save your life. Be lucky little girl."

The way he said little girl was almost like a command. It was authoritative, and deep. I really found it sexy. His brown eyes held something powerful too; something mixed with concern and control.

Did I mention I'd always had a crush on him growing up? Because I did then and I do now.

"Now why were you upset and driving like a maniac?" He asked interrupting my thoughts of me wrapping my body around his.

"I....don't remember" I quietly say. Truth is I don't want to tell him, he'd be super pissed; he hates Colin. He's encouraged me to get away from him saying I could do better.

Honestly though I think Colin is the best I could get.

And unfortunately Thomas knows when I'm lying.

"Azalea tell me what happened now" he commanded me.

Not wanting to cause a scene and knowing he'd find out sooner or later I decided I should tell him.

"Colin and I got into a huge fight. He stormed out saying he wanted me gone. Which happens like once a month maybe. Then I got a text saying he meant it and a picture of him cheating on me with another girl was sent with it. I got so mad I just had to get out of there before I did something dumb like setting the house on fire."

"And you thought driving mad would be smart?!" He exclaimed outraged. "You know better than to drive distracted like that! And over him? That idiot asshole who isn't even half of a person you deserve?! Dammit Aza you sent 4 people plus yourself to the hospital!"

I knew he was right and that's what really stung. I couldn't hold it in anymore and lost what little I was holding onto.

"I know that ok?! I know I deserve better, no one deserve to be in a relationship like this but I don't think I'll ever do any better! And I can't be alone anymore! I need someone to take care of me because I'm not strong enough to!" I broke down and started to cry.

Thomas came and gently hugged me.

"Azalea you are so special you deserve the best." He said.

"No. My parents didn't want me so why should anyone else? I'm not special and I don't deserve anyone good." I told him.

"Aza, that's it you're coming to live with me as soon as you're good enough to leave. No arguments on the subject either." He said as I started to protest.

"I'm going to teach you your self worth, and take care of you." he said