Chapter 16

We go downstairs and head out to the car. I unlock my door and leave the others locked. I quickly get in and lock my door before Max realizes what I'm doing. "Maggie! Let me in!"

"Why?" I giggle.

He mouths the words through the window, do you want to talk or not?

Fuck, he's good, even though he didn't really do anything. I unlock the doors and he gets in. I pull out of the driveway and head to the park. On the way there, a song comes on(above). I sing along.

(Sorry if you like country music, or if this doesn't count as country. I don't know my song genres that well.)

About in the middle of the song, Max says, "First of all, you like country music?"

"Not really, but I like this song."

"Okay.. And second, where are we going?"

"The park. We need to talk, Max." 

"About what?"

"I'll tell you when we get there." The rest of the ride was quiet, other than the music. We get out and I start walking, but Max just stops.

"Maggie?"

"What, Max?" I ask, trying not to sound annoyed.

"Can we just talk here, please?"

"Just follow me, please." He sighs and I lead the way to a bench under a cherry blossom. "Okay, Max. Please, just hear me out." We sit down.

"Okay...?"

I look down at my bracelet, messing with it. "Max, I remember last year, playing Smash... You tackling me, we made eye contact..." I look at his dark brown eyes. "You were blushing.... until Alesa took that photo. After Adam yelled at you, being my protective brother, you sat across the room from Mason and I. I was so upset, that's why you guys haven't really seen me in a while."

"Because I sat across the room from you?" He asks, confused.

"No, dumb ass." I say, playfully, with a tear rolling down my cheek. "I left because... I'm afraid of rejection, and with Adam being protective... I really couldn't take it anymore, so I moved in with a friend who lives in Louisiana. I really missed you guys, so I moved back here." I look out to the lake that sat in front of us and took a deep breath, eyes closed. "Max.."

"Yes, Maggie?"

"Would you like to go on a date with me?"