reason fourteen // his mood swings

"Are they dead?", someone asked, lightly kicking my leg, making me groan.

"She's not.", a different voice said and I opened my eyes.

Two kids were standing next to us, looking down at Calum and I. I smiled at them a little and turned to Calum, shaking him awake.

"Come on, Cal. We fell asleep.", I said and pulled him up with me. He rubbed his eyes and looked around confused.

"We thought you died.", the one girl said and I nodded.

"Sorry for that. Thanks for waking us up. Do you know what time it is?", I asked her politely and she nodded, looking at her hot pink watch.

"I can't read it yet, but here.", she said quietly and showed me her wrist. I smiled at her and looked down. It was late. Too late. 10:34 am.

"How about we skip school today, Calum? Its too late either way.", I asked him and his face lit up slightly, making me smile.

"Sure. Thanks for the help, kids. Have fun on the playground. Sorry if we kinda scared you. I would probably we crying by now, if I had found two people laying on the ground. Not moving. So, uh, bye.", Calum said nervously and I stiffed a laugh.

"Let's just go.", I said and took his hand, pulling him with me. He intertwined out fingers together and I looked down at our hands. I couldn't help, but smile a tiny bit.

"Mom?", I called out as we got into the house and she appeared in front of us.

"Mind to explain where you were all night, why you aren't at school and who this is?", she asked clearly angry.

"Yeah. That's Calum. He's a friend of mine and yesterday we were at the playground, because we both couldn't fall asleep. And we fell asleep there. And just now, two kinds woke us up. So we thought we'd not go to school, since it's so late.", I said and she shot us an suspecting glare.

"I don't know if I should believe you.", she laughed to herself and Calum stepped forward.

"I'm really sorry. It was my idea. We literally fell asleep on the playground. Two kids thought we were dead.", he said and my mother nodded.

"Ok, then. I'll call the school and your parents. They are probably worried sick.", she said and I sighed relieved. God, I loved her.

"We'll be upstairs, ok?", I asked her and she just nodded, shooing us away.

-

"Rachel! Luke is here!", my mother suddenly yelled and I rolled my eyes.

Moments later my door opened and Luke came inside, looking not as happy as always.

"Where the fuck were you?", he asked me as he shut the door. I took a deep breath and prepared myself for the next new minutes.

"I was at home.", I said in a 'duh'-tone and he shook his head in disbelief.

"So I'm not here one night and you two are already skipping together? What the fuck!", Luke cursed and Calum spoke up.

"Calm the fuck down Luke. It's not her fault that you are an asshole.", he said and I mentally face palmed. Why in the world would he say that.

"Excuse me? At least I'm not cheating on her with the next best person!", Luke fought back and my eyes widened.

"I did not cheat on you!", I defended myself and he scoffed.

"Sure, you didn't.", he nodded doubtful and I nodded.

"Fuck off, Luke. If you came here to assume I cheated on you, because I hang out with someone, leave.", I said angrily. And in that moment he clicked.

"Rachel, you have to understand me. I.. I try my best to keep you happy and..", Luke said, but Calum cut him off.

"You're really bad at it.", he said and Luke shot him a glare, ready to kill him.

"Back to what I was saying. I'm sorry because of last night. I didn't check if it send and I could tell it made you really sad. I don't know maybe Calum calmed you down or stuff, but Amy told me she left and you stayed alone. It's just that.. Oh, you know how it is. We've talked about Calum before.", Luke said apologetically and sat down next to me, taking my hands in his.

"Yes, we talked about it. And I thought we were done talking about it.", I said, not wanting to look at him. I knew, that if I looked at him, I would forgive him in a second.

"I'm sorry, Rachel. Look at me, baby.", Luke cooed turning my face in his direction. I looked up at him and he showed me a small smile, kissing me gently.

"I'm going to leave now. Think about it , Rachel.", Calum said and stood up from my bed.

"Think about what?", Luke asked confused, but Calum only looked at me with disappointed eyes.

"She knows what I'm talking about. We talked about it yesterday. Think it about it.", Calum said, looked at me one last time and left.

I sighed and rubbed my temples. Why was this so difficult.

"When did you two talk yesterday?", Luke asked confused and I shrugged.

"At 4am. On the playground. We also fell asleep there, but then two kids woke us up, thinking we were dead.", I said, smiling a little at the memory.

"You two slept on the playground? Why the fuck would you do that?", Luke laughed and I shrugged.

Calum really complicated my whole relationship with Luke.

And that was reason fourteen. If it was a reason. Luke's mood swings were really hard to deal with, but I still loved him. With all I had. And the problem was, I didn't know of that was a good thing anymore.