Ambushes

This is the first of two chapters posted on 9-6-16...
_______________________________________

The next morning started uneventfully with them simply getting up and ready quietly. The route to the school was surprisingly boring and most of the day went by like any other. Until they got to Math.

Mr. Archer clapped his hands to get the attention of the bored midday class. "We have decided to change up the normal school day," he stated, "the school has decide to take you all on a small field trip to the Manteno State Hospital. We will be visiting the ruins of the old hospital. Since your parental figures have already signed an all encompassing release form, we did not need to send home a note. You will need a notebook and pencil, preferably mechanical."

The students quickly gathered all of their supplies, excited at the prospect of a field trip.

When the group got on the bus there were barely any seats left. Courtney and Jake spotted the only seat left open and went to sit. Elizabeth saw two seats that were close by each other and went to sit in one. She pointed to the other and Mark went and sat down.

Elizabeth realized who Mark was sitting by, Mason. "I'm so sorry," Elizabeth whispered. Mark smiled but didn't respond.

Elizabeth turned around to see who she got stuck with sitting with. "Ugh," she moaned.

"Now well isn't this just a coincidence," Adrian said smiling.

"Adrian....." Elizabeth grumbled. She scooted closer to the aisle but was stopped when a warm arm wrapped around her waist.

Elizabeth turned to glare at Adrian but her breathe caught when she realized how close his face was to hers. They stared intently at each other. Adrian cracking a smile. Elizabeth was the one to break the silence.

"Okay I'm just going to move over there," she told him when the bus was at a stop light. She unwound his arm from around her and got up to go to where Mark was sitting. Thankfully he was talking to boy named Liam in the seat in front of him, and didn't see the little scene that had just gone down between Elizabeth and Adrian.

Elizabeth shot a glare at Mason and stated pointedly, "Move." Elizabeth nodded towards the seat where Adrian was currently perched.

"What you going to do if I don't?" He replied teasingly.

Liam overheard this and quietly whispered to Mark, "Oooo..."

Mark glared at Liam playfully and then turned to the scene unfolding beside him.

"Move." Elizabeth stated once again, a deadly calm penetrating her voice. Doing this only made her command that more threatening. But, when Mason didn't comply she simply started counting, "One... Two... Three." When she finished she reached over and grabbed Mason's upper arm and yanked him out of the seat. But of course the light just had to turn green at that same moment.

Mason pitched forward knocking into her and nearly making her fall backwards into the seat behind her. The only thing keeping her upright was her grip on his arm. Mason, being the obnoxious boy he was immediately noticed how close he was to her, stated, "You just had to ask if you wanted me to get closer."

Angered by his stupid comment she roughly shoved him into the seat next to Adrian and took her spot next to Mark.

"You're feisty today," Mark whispered into Elizabeth's ear, grinning. She punched him in the arm and crossed her arms over her chest. "See? That just proves my point."

Elizabeth simply rolled her eyes and settled into the seat for the rest of the ride.

A time skip brought to you by annoying teenage boys...