Explanations

"Where is that stupid boy? He's been gone for like an hour," Elizabeth asked as they walked through the woods.

"Maybe they haven't woken up yet or are just too embarrassed to leave the woods," Courtney replied.

"I think the latter option is more likely considering the circumstances..." Elizabeth answered. The girls burst into laughter at the thought.

They walk in the shadows near a small clearing to see Jake and Mark sitting on the ground talking and having a good time.

"You looked so angry when they ran by you! I thought you might scream at them for ignoring you!" Mark laughed and started to roll around on the ground, tears practically pouring down his face. Then as he rolled around, he faced the girls and saw Courtney standing near the edge of the area in the shadows.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" Mark asked, oblivious to Elizabeth's presence.

"You mean what are you two doing here?" Elizabeth corrected stepping out of the shadows.

"Sorry..." Mark replied sheepishly.

"You guys come to gloat?!" Jake demanded angrily.

"Whoa there! Calm down. We came to make sure we didn't hit you a little too hard on the head," Elizabeth answered.

"We're fine," Jake spat, "Go away."

"Hey! Be a little nicer. We came to see if you guys were okay," Courtney exclaimed.

"We're fine. You can leave now," Jake said, poison still saturating his words.

"We can walk you guys to the infirmary," Courtney said, ignoring the venom, "Looks like you two need it."

"Sure! You coming, Jake?" Mark asked happily.

"Nah. I'll catch up with you later," Jake replied.

"You positive?" Mark questioned again.

"Yeah. See you later," Jake waved as he started to walk further into the forest and Mark, Elizabeth, and Courtney walked to the infirmary.

"That was weird..." Elizabeth mumbled as they walked away.

At the infirmary aka the Apollo cabin, Mark had an ice pack placed firmly on his head as he stepped out and the girls were waiting outside.

"You sure hit me hard Liz. I'm gonna have a bump for a couple days," Mark explained.

"Sorry. I needed to knock you out cleanly so I had to hit pretty hard..." Elizabeth apologized.

"Can we leave now? Hospitals give me the creeps," Courtney stuttered as she looked toward the cabin.

"It isn't a hospital. It's an infirmary. There's a difference," Elizabeth stated.

"Any place with sick people I don't like so, let's go already!" Courtney said, sprinting away from the cabin.

Elizabeth laughed as they walked away from the infirmary with Mark. "Do either of you guys know what we are doing today?" Mark inquired.

"We could ask Percy," Courtney stated plainly.

"Do you know where he is?" Elizabeth questioned.

"Not a clue," Courtney answered, "but we can start at my cabin and see if he's there. If not we can ask around."

"Okay. Let's go then," Mark said adjusting his course to the Poseidon cabin.

As they arrived at the Poseidon cabin they saw Percy sitting on the porch with Annabeth. "Hey, guys! You found Mark! Where was he?" Percy asked as he saw them approaching.

"He was with Jake, laughing his head off in the woods," Courtney replied.

"You'll have to tell me about that sometime. Annabeth and I would like to ask you about something that we need to know..." Percy stated, his tone going serious, "Where are you guys from?"

The three previously cheerful demigods smiles wiped off their faces into cold, blank stares. "I'm sorry but we don't-" Courtney started to say.

"We need to tell them, Courtney..." Elizabeth said putting a hand on Courtney's shoulder "Do you want me to tell and you guys fill in blanks?..."

"Sure..." Mark and Courtney mumbled softly.

Elizabeth took a deep breath before continuing, "You guys might want to get some tissues and a comfortable spot cause this sob story is going to take a while... It started when we were about twelve years old. Me and Courtney's parents didn't really want us around. So we left. We ran away and only brought the few things we needed. We ran into Mark while we were on the streets. He was a run-away like us so we kept him around.

"We just barely survived the first few months until Darein came. Darein was a seventeen-year-old kid that saved our lives on numerous occasions. When we first met, we were shivering in the bitter cold when a huge monstrous beast came out of an alley. We now know that the beast was a khalkotauroi, a fire-breathing, metal bull. The bull looked over at us and started to come at us when a dark figure jumped on its back. The bull went on a rampage trying to get the figure off, destroying everything around it. The dark figure pulled out a sword that glowed like hot iron and plunged it into the bull's side.

"The bull collapsed and started to melt. The figure walked over to us and knelt down. He said, "What did you see?" We responded that we had seen him stab a metal bull with a glowing sword and the bull had melted. He had looked very worried and told us to follow him. We wound through the streets until we reached a small apartment complex. He led us inside, told us his name was Darein and started talking all about demigods and monsters.

"Then he taught us how to use, make, and care for weapons. We lived with him for almost five years before he died. He died from a random spider automaton attack. The stupid creature attacked the apartments and Darein sacrificed his life to save our's, but we didn't listen. Instead of running like he told us to, we rushed forward and attacked the automaton. We destroyed it and tried to save Darein but he was mortally wounded. With his dying breath he told us he was a son of Hermes and a rogue demigod from Camp Half-Blood.

"Just before he died he told us where camp Half-Blood was located. He told us to run and don't stop until we got there. So we did. We ran and ran and ran some more until finally, we got here. Finally, we didn't have to fear for our lives... And that's our sob story. Anyone have anything to say?" Elizabeth finished.

"I didn't know... I-" Annabeth choked out.

"Of course you wouldn't have known. We haven't told anyone," Courtney replied in a bitter tone.

"I was just like you guys..." Annabeth whispered before her body convulsed with the first of many sobs. She reached out and pulled the three of them into a hug and Courtney began to cry.

"I'm so sorry. No one should have gone through that. I'm so so so sorry," Annabeth choked out between sobs.

"You don't need to be. We're here, we survived, and that's all that matters," Elizabeth stated deliberately.

"But I-" Annabeth started.

Courtney suddenly stood up and started to cry harder. "The stupid jerk! He helped us survive for five years and then he has to go and die! If I was just a little faster..." Courtney sobbed and spun around to run out to the woods, disappearing into the lush greenery.

Percy started to stand but Elizabeth stopped him, "She needs her space. Give her some time." Percy sat back down, wondering how he was going to deal with his new sister.