Chapter 45: Inheritance

Start from the beginning

Having regained her memories, she immediately recognised the subject. Strago. The stag in her forest. The magnificent crown of antlers on its head belonged to him.

Cheska touched the creature's neck. Her finger felt the texture of each brush stroke which made up her friend's portrait. "What are you doing here?" she asked it. "Why did you let yourself be seen by a stranger?"

The stag stared back at her in silence.

Why am I talking to a painting? Cheska sighed. She lowered herself on the floor and mulled over the origins of the painting rather than go home and think about the doctor she'd left in the mansion.

****

A cold wet nose on Cheska's cheek woke her. She had fallen asleep with her head resting on her knees and arms wrapped around her legs. She winced at her stiff muscles, regretting the uncomfortable position she'd slept in. Cheska yawned and stretched until she saw the four-legged creature beside her.

The stag regarded her with intelligence. Cheska rubbed her eyes, afraid that she had dreamt him out of the portrait.

I am not a dream, my lady, the stag spoke in her mind.

She gazed at his face a while longer with wide eyes. Then Cheska looked up at his antlers down to his hooves.

My lady?

Tears pricked her eyes as she returned the stag's gaze. "Strago", she cried and flung her arms around the creature's neck "Where have you been?"

Forgive me, my lady. We could not sense you beyond the halls we vowed to protect. The birds and the wee creatures searched the entire country. Still, we could not find you, my lady.

Alfred Roucan was no doubt behind it. Cheska had woken up from a comatose state in a different country. Her father had secreted her from the Mysts without her friends knowing.

She released her hold on Strago. "How did you find me?"

We sensed your presence last night, my lady. The sentries could not speak of anything but your touch on our awareness. I shall gladly bear the news of your return to the sentries after I complete my task. Strago rubbed the side of his head against her cheek.

Cheska frowned at his choice of words. "Strago," she stroked his head, "you didn't answer my question."

Strago looked her in the eye. The new guardian sent me to fetch you, my lady.

"You should stop calling my 'my lady' now that I'm not a guardian. And what does my brother want with me, anyway?" At the moment, Cheska didn't want to speak with Louis. Their argument the day before had re-opened old wounds.

My lady, the title is inherited from mother to daughter. This is also related to what your brother wishes to discuss with you.

"Our mother?" Cheska's brows lifted. Their father didn't talk much about the late Celestraena. Cheska never pried when she could see how her mere presence pained their father. 'You are your mother's image,' he'd said in a sorrowful voice yesterday afternoon.

Then her brows slammed down. "You knew my mother?" She couldn't help feel a little betrayed by the creature's secrecy. Cheska rose to her feet. "Were you ever going to tell me about her if Louis didn't bring her up?"

Lady Celestraena instructed us to keep her true identity a secret to her fawns until they come of age if she would not be able to reveal it herself. Strago shifted on his legs. There is much to learn, my lady. Let us be off. His head motioned to his back.