Chapter 3

Jade POV

I'm so glad the bell rang to go home. I heard the girls are having basketball practice after school so I'm gone drop by the gym to check them out. I grabbed my backpack and headed down the halls. I walked down the stairs to the gym. I saw girls taking turns blocking and shooting the ball.

"Hurry up Derrika." A girl leaned against the wall with her arms crossed. She had on the school's t shirt and some sweats. She looked about 5'6. I looked at the girl who I'm guessing is Derrika try to run faster up and down the side of the court.

"I'm trying Zoe." Derrika stopped and put her hands on her knees and tried to catch her breath.

"Girl is you okay?" A girl ran over to Derrika's side and rubbed her back.

"Come on y'all! Do y'all want to win?!" Zoe yelled. All the girls froze and stared at Zoe. Suddenly I felt the urge to sneeze and did. What I do that for?! All the girls turned and looked at me. Zoe leaned up off the wall.

"Who are you?!" She asked snappy.

"That's Shampoo and Drew friend." I heard a girl say.

"No thugs allowed." She snapped.

"I'm not a thug just because I hang with them." I defended myself.

"Well why are you here shorty?" Zoe crossed her arms.

"To ball." I answered bluntly. A smirk began to form upon her lips.

"Girl you look about 5'3! We will dunk on your skinny behind!" Zoe laughed causing all the girls to laugh. I ain't gone lie I was kind of embarrassed at her remark.

"I can show you 'Zoe'." I said putting air quotations around her name.

"Ohhh." The girls said in harmony.

"Okay scrub. Show me how the game is done." She bounced the ball over to me roughly. I caught it hard in my chest. I dribbled it to the center of the court where she stood. I tried to dribble around but she managed to take the ball and dunk over me. No need to get frustrated. It is only my first try.

*

*

*

Shit! I'm getting pissed off now! This girl dunked on my ass 10 times!

"I give up, hell!" I yelled throwing my hands up. She laughed along with the other girls.

"You put up a fight though scrub." Zoe laughed.

"But you just ain't better." Derrika smirked. I frowned and grabbed my backpack off the bench.

"I knew you didn't have what it takes to be a Lady Cougar." Zoe shook her head. I turned to her.

"I ain't giving up. Unlike some people I have a curfew." I swung my backpack over my shoulder and walked out. I can't believe I didn't get at least one shot. That is so embarrassing. I texted Percy to come get me. I sat on the steps waiting on him.

"I found you." A voice said. I looked up and saw Drew approaching me. He looked different. His eyes looked low red and his lips got darker.

"You high?" I asked bluntly. He laughed.

"As a kite." He sat next to me.

"Shame." I shook my head.

"Who you waiting on?" He asked.

"My step daddy." I answered.

"Oh word. Where your real daddy?" He asked. I don't even know how to answer this question because I really don't know where he is.