Chapter 28

I wake up the next morning expecting to be tightly wrapped in Jax's arms, instead my covers are the only thing that surround me.

I push my body up and lean against my headboard. I know that it's late in the morning because the birds are no longer singing their morning songs. I look over at the alarm clock that sits on my bedside table, it reads 11:00 A.M.

Instead of jumping out of bed and quickly sliding on clothes, I slowly trot down the stairs. I'm greeted by Mary who isn't in the kitchen for the first time.

"Well hello there sleeping beauty." Mary says taking a pair of reading glasses off her face.

"Good morning." I say rubbing my eyes.

"So I bet you're wondering why you are not at school right now, right?" she asks me.

I nod even though going to school hasn't crossed my mind since I woke up this morning.

"Well Jax suggested that I homeschool you while you are healing. So if you don't mind, I would like to start now." she says with a bright smile on her face.

"Um sure, but can I put on some clothes and eat breakfast first?'" I ask even though I know she will say yes.

"Of course. Take your time." she says with a quick nod.

As I make my way up the huge staircase, Mary makes her way to the downstairs study. I guess we'll be working in their today.

Once I get to my room, I quickly slide on some comfortable denim shorts and an oversized sweater.

I make my way over to my en suite bathroom to brush my teeth. By the time I'm done brushing my teeth, I realize that not once did I look ay my reflection. I guess my appearance still scares me in some way.

As I sit down my toothbrush on the sink I see a small post it note with messy handwriting sprawled all over it.

I pick it up and realize that the handwriting belongs to Jax.

It reads,

Hey babe,

Good morning! I can't lie and say that I'm not missing you right now, but you're safer at home. I know that you won't get hurt there.

But I just want to apologize for everything.

I love you, Jax.

I smile at the note and set it back down on the countertop of the sink. I quickly jog back downstairs to go eat some breakfast.

I'm relieved when I see that my mother isn't in the kitchen. I'm still debating if I'm still mad at her or not. I mean the locket did lighten the anger towards her, but she still did something wrong and a piece of jewelry wasn't going to make everything go away.

I make me a small bowl of cereal and bring it into the study. Mary already has her glasses on and is looking through an algebra textbook. She doesn't even hear me when I walk in, so I knock on the door to get her attention.

Her head snaps up and when she sees me and gives me a small smile.

"Ready to learn today?" she asks enthusiastically.

I shrug while eating a spoonful of cereal and taking a seat.

"So what have you been learning lately in math?" she asks me.

"Um, I think we were learning about...three step equations. At least something like that." I say trying my best to remember what we were learning in math.

"I guess we will find out. Here are some problems you can start on. They shouldn't be so hard, considering you learned this probably at the beginning of the year." she says, pushing the text book towards me.