Chapter 7

As I walk into my house, I take careful, quiet steps trying not to alert my dad. I slowly sneak to my room and collapse onto my bed and close my eyes. Today was pretty crazy. I have never talked this much in my enitre four years as a high schooler. Jax brought something out of me. I think about how he told me he liked me. I feel so stupid for saying something like that. Of course I liked him, but I was scared. If I had a boyfriend, the realtionship would be full of lies. That is definately not what I wanted.

I open my eyes from all my thinking and everything just seems to come crashing down on me. The Eviction Notice was right above my head on the ceiling. I remember putting it there, so I wouldn't forget.

I couldn't let the distraction of a boy get in my way anymore. I deperately need to figure out what I am gonna do. I thought about going to a shelter, but they were all so far away from school (plus all of them were in the city). I even looked up options online. There was absolutely nothing that was reasonable or safe. All there is left is the streets. It's all I have, and there was nothing I could do about it.

I felt hot tears roll down my cheek, I feel so defeated. I tried so hard, but it failed. Now, I will be living on the streets. I probably won't be able to ever to leave.  

I begin to sob uncontrollably. I just lie there, crying into my pillow. Then all of a sudden there is a knock on the door. I glance at the time. It says it is 8:00. It  is weird for me, we never get visitors. I try to figure out who it could be as I make my way to the door. My dad is still sleeping on the couch which is a relief. 

I open the door slowly, but only wide enough so whoever it is can only see an inch of my face.

"Elizabeth, is that you?" A loud male voice ask. I opened a little wider to see that it was my Uncle Pete, on my mother's side.

"Uncle Pete! What are you doing here?" I ask, opening the door and giving him a big hug. 

Uncle Pete used to be my favorite uncle. He would take me to ice cream parlors and to the park. But that was when my mom was alive. He sort of dissappeared when she died. I haven't seen him in over 3 years.

He hugs me tightly, he is a 6' 6" and about 275 pounds, so hugging him was basically being suffocted by a human sized pillow. When it is over I take a huge breath.

"I'm here to talk to you and your father." His face has worry on it.

"OK, come in." I say opening the door. He has to bend down a little bit so he doesn't hit his head on the door frame. I giggle a little bit, but become serious again. 

I gently wake up my dad. He jumps up, but does not panic... this time. I tell him Uncle Pete is here. I slowly sits up and takes my uncle's meaty hands.

I sit down on the couch my dad is on, and my uncle finds a chair to sit on. I can tell that what he's here about isn't good news.

"I know things have been rough around here, and I know that you are about to get evicted." He says with concern in his voice. 

I'm in complete shock. How did he know? I haven't told anybody.

"What are you talking about?" my father asked. I totally forgot that he did not know. 

"When Anne died, she let in her will to make sure you guys were always taken care of. She gave me all your credit card information and everything. I checked the bank account one day and saw that you guys were in trouble. I know you guys need help, so don't decline this offer," he pauses to make sure we comply with his rule, " I was thinking about this for awhile.  I think you should come with me to Arizona, Rick." He says toward my father.

My father looks dazed and so confused. It hard for me to believe that he even knows what is going on. 

"It is not like we'll be just starting from scratch. I  have everything planned out. You will live with me and my wife, Julie. We have a room for you all ready. All you have to is pack." He tells my father, then he adds,

"And for you Elizabeth, I know it is not easy for you to just pack up and leave. So I reconnected with an old college buddy of mine. He has one son and daughter. They are both in high school, you probably know them. They have a pretty nice sized house. So you will have plenty of space. Tell me what you think?" he explains.

At first, I am speechless. I mean how is this going to work? Could I really just pack up and leave this house behind? It was the house that I last saw my mother in. Even though the past few years with my dad has been bad, I still had good memories. 

But at the end of the day, this was the best opportunity we had. I had to take it. 

"I will do it, " I say then look over to my father, his face is confused but I know what is best, "My dad will do it too."

I get up and hug my uncle and thank him. My father shakes his hand.

I walk him out and he tells me, " Even though it feels like you are alone sometimes, you aren't. I'm here." He takes my hand and slides a small piece of paper on there. His number. I thank him. Once again, I feel tears run own my cheeks, we weren't going to be homeless and I knew that if Uncle Pete handeled it everything would be ok.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Thanks for reading!!!  Don't forget to comment and vote!!! Have a great night, weirdos! 

Love, Reagan and Meagan <3