Chapter 3

Lauren tried to forget Lucy's comment but no matter how hard she tried she couldn't. She wasn't even a mother and she took offense to it. Camila may be young but Lauren saw Camila try to do as best as she could. Any parent could've been in the situation the young mother was in.

When they reached the last hole, Lauren could sense how done both of them were. Lucy concentrated so hard to get the ball into the treasure chest,however, her ball wasn't even close to getting into the chest. Next, Lauren placed her ball on the tee and hit it with enough force to make it go up.

"Do you want to play another around?" Lucy asked faithfully as Lauren returned her club.

"No thanks, I'm mini golfed out," Lauren answered, giving her an apologizing smile.

In reality, Lauren was up for another game of mini golf, just not with Lucy.

Lauren could only imagine how miserable that game would be if Lucy played like she did in the first game.

"Alrighty then, how about we get some ice cream?"

"I'm actually not that hungry," Lauren lied.

What she really wanted to do was go home and sleep and forget about this day even happening.

"Then we can go inside and play some arcade games."

She didn't even want to think about how Lucy would act in there.

"Actually, can you drive me home? I'm not feeling well."

"Is everything alright," Lucy asked, as becoming concerned.

"Yeah, I'm just tired that's all."

"Okay, yeah," Lucy nodded.

The ride home was the quietest Lucy and Lauren have ever been since their friendship began. They are usually loud and crazy, but now everything feels completely different.

Lucy pulled into Lauren's driveway and placed the car in park.

"I had fun tonight," Lucy said, breaking the silence.

"So did I. Thank you for taking me out."

" Any time Lo," Lucy smiled, making a smile poke out on Lauren's face. "Good night."

"Night."

Lauren stepped out of the car and walked up the path to her front door. Once inside, she locked the door while she watched Lucy pull out of her driveway.

"Where were you missy?" Lauren younger brother, Chris asked, leaning himself on the wall as he ate the chocolate Lucy gave to Lauren.

Lauren rolled her eyes and made her way upstairs, ignoring her brother. She walked into her room and shut the door behind her. She pulled a black plain t-shirt out of her drawer before stripping down. She slid the shirt over her head and grabbed her phone before burying herself under all her blankets.

She turned on her phone to find two messages from Lucy.

[Lucy💖 - Sweet dreams, Lo 🌙]
[Lucy💖 - I hope you had as much fun as I did tonight ]

Fun? The night wasn't even close to fun. It was miserable.

Lauren ignored the messages and instead plugged her phone in. She situated herself back under all her blankets and stared up at her blank ceilings.

This was how she spent most of her night. No matter how many different positions she tried or how long she closed her eyes for, she couldn't fall asleep. Her mind was running in many different directions.