Chapter 36

Peter dragged Iris to a cage by her hair, ignoring her cries for him to stop. She had tear stained cheeks and scraped knees, since she kept tripping over herself trying to stay at his pace, by the time she was shoved into the small wooden prison. Peter said nothing to her, he just locked it and disappeared into the green haze of nature. Iris kept shouting and kicking and punching the cage bars, but eventually tired herself out. When she finally woke up the next day she felt like doing it again, but instead she just sat quietly as her mind raced with her knees pulled up to her chest.

Why was she here? Who exactly is Peter? What does he want? She wants James back. Is Peter actually crazy? Is she crazy? It wasn't stopping.

"Have you calmed down yet love?" A mocking voice flooded her ears.

Iris crawled up to the bars and grasped them, looking at him with pleading eyes. "Please let me out," She whispers resting her head against them.

"Will you be good?" He asks, tilting his head to the side with a grin.

"Yes," she replies through gritted teeth.

"Then of course," he says joyfully.

Peter had to admit to himself that he missed Iris sleeping in his tent last night, and he would have made her sleep her for a few more days had she been anyone else. But her being Iris, his and only his Iris, he just had to come see his little lost girl.

Quickly, he unlocks the door and places his hand inside to help her, but she shuffles away. He sighs in disappointment, "Iris please try to get along with me."

"But you kill, for no other reason than you think you're proving a point," she mumbles, casting her eyes down.

Iris could mention a lot more things that made him frightening, like him pulling her by the hair to a cage being one of them. But she decided not to bring up all his faults, that would only make him angry and vicious again.

"I've killed to keep you safe too," he defends himself, nodding as if to reassure him more than Iris.

"But why?"

"Because I care for you, Iris," he explains softly, making Iris look up at him with shocked features. "I don't want you to get hurt."

Iris just looks at him for a moment, taking in his defined features. The way his eyes were light green and the way he spoke made his words sound full of sincerity. He seemed to be patient with Iris right now, something that she's never experienced with him. His face wasn't hard either, it was soft and kind. It made her heart swell.

So, she just hugged him. Iris jumped out of the cage, stumbling on her weak legs for a moment, and then throws her arms around his waist. She held onto him tightly, like her life depended on it. He hesitantly put his arms around her and rested his head on top of hers. His chest had a feeling in it that he's never quite felt before, it confused him but he didn't hate it. Peter can't remember the last time he just hugged someone.

"What if I try to suppress killing them and just use punishments? Unless it's someone trying to hurt or take you," Peter says quietly, as though if he talked too loudly Iris would run away like a scared dear.

"Please do try," she sighs into his chest.

"I promise to," he nods. Peter felt a twinge of guilt in his chest for a moment, because he knew that he can't help himself sometimes. And that means he most likely will break the promise. "Come on," he says softly. "The boys will be having breakfast."

They pull apart from each other and Iris nods. For a moment, they share a look that's quite indescribable. A light sparked in their eyes, and their hearts seemed to connect. The island seemed to breath in relief and brighten as a soft breeze danced through, pushing Iris's hair over her shoulders.

Peter stepped back and swallowed, glancing at the floor, "Uh w-we should really go."

•••••

another update!! are you guys proud

im gonna try to update again soon

IG: neverland.luke
Tumblr: autumns-rainyday