Only Time Will Tell (Tom Hiddleston)

You were walking slowly through the streets of your hometown. You hadn't been here in a long time, but now that you finally had been able to get some days off during the holidays, your mother had insisted you spend it with them. You loved your family, but you were happy to walk around town for a few minutes. Your sister's blabbing gave you a headache and your mother's cooking still hadn't improved.

You passed the cafeteria where you had spent a lot of your younger years with friends or dates. You smiled thinking back at those days. You closed your coat further around you while you regained your stroll around town. It had started snowing, but you didn't care. It truly made it feel like it was Christmas.

You nearly slipped on the pavement when someone honked at you.

'Sorry, miss? Could you help me find the nearest hotel?'

You nodded, looking at the man with the English accent that was hanging out of the car window smiling at you. You walked over to the expensive looking car, your hands tucked away in the pockets of your coat. A man and a woman sat in the back of the car, waving at you joyfully.

'Well the only hotel in town is just down the road, but if you were to drive about a hundred miles further, you'd be in New York.'

'Here's just fine, thank you, miss.'

'Say [Name] send you,' you smiled back. 'They might put the breakfast in for free.'

'Thanks again,' the man smiled.

As he was about to drive away the woman in the back leaned forward. 'Dear, could you tell us if there is some pub we could go to later? You see, our boy is still single and I thought...'

'Mother, please. Not now...'

The man nodded at you and drove towards the other side of town. You could still hear his mother talking to him as he rolled up the window again.

'You are not getting any younger, Tom. She looked like a perfectly nice girl. Why don't you seek her out when we are settled in?'

You walked back to the pavement, laughing inside as the voices grew softer. You knew the feeling. Your mother had tried for years to set you up with men she had met somewhere and were 'perfect' for you. You still remembered all the awkward dates she had made you go on. You would rather remain single than go on one of those dates again.

'[Name]!' Someone cried out. 'Is that you?'

You turned around to face one of your high school friends, Stacy. As you looked at her you realized she hadn't changed. She still loved to dress completely in pink. You were happy you had outgrown that phase a long time ago.

'Oh my, it is! How are you? You look great. That color really makes your eyes pop. I've heard you have made quite the name for yourself in New York. Tell me everything!'

You smiled awkwardly as she hugged you. 'Well, yeah. New York has been great. Just like in Sex and the City.'

'Oh, I remember! We used to watch that every night. Is it really? How terrific!'

You nodded, trying to think of an excuse you could use to get away from her. How did you ever become friends with this woman?

'You know, I just remembered. I promised my mom I would be back before nine. And gosh, look at the time. It's already five past nine. I really should be going. Great seeing you again, Stace!'

You quickly walked away from her, almost running in the opposite direction. You didn't feel like going home yet, but you also didn't feel like running into more old friends. You had left for a reason and now that you were back for the first time in ten years, you started to remember why.