Sixty nine

"So, how do we proceed with this situation? It was definitely not Merlin and Lucy their place to-"
"Guinevere, please," Arthur tried to calm his wife down.
Gwen was upset about what was happening to their daughter, and so was Arthur, but as king of Camelot, he had to try to watch the situation in a rational way, how much he disliked it.
"Aren't you concerned about our daughter's health?" Gwen asked her husband. "She needs us-"
"Of course she needs us, do you really think I don't know that?" Arthur yelled. "Ygraine her health worries me more then all my thoughts for the entire kingdom, but I cannot allow myself to react over emotional, Gwen-"
"Are you saying that I am acting over emotional-?!"
"If you would just listen for a second," Arthur sighed.
"All right. I'm listening."
"We cannot blame Merlin or Idriath for keeping this from us. I know, they should have told us, but what if we look at it from a different way?"
"You got my attention," Guinevere growled.
"We both know how Merlin and Lucy used to be in the past, and how the evolving changed them. Would you have really wanted our daughter to grow up with that fear? That it would happen to her as well? We even know the stories about the pain they suffered-"
"She had the right to know, Arthur."
"But she would have grown up in fear. I would not have wanted that for her. Would you?"
Guinevere sighed, and looked at her husband. Usually, she was the one who had to talk sense into him, but this time, it was the other way around.
They would have lived in fear for sixteen years. Even if Arthur and her would have known the truth, Ygraine would have guessed it anyway. She was a very smart girl.
"Our childeren need to be happy," the queen replied. "But I think it is wise to tell Ygraine what is happening to her right now. Don't you agree with me?"
"What if we scare her?" Arthur asked with a soft voice. "According to Merlin, she is already paralysed at her right leg. What if-"
"She'll know that everything will turn out fine, in the end," Gwen answered. "That is all what matters, doesn't it?"

"You are having good control over the commands you give the dragons, young prince," Merlin told the son of Arthur and Guinevere. "You have worked well today."
Merlin, as the only other dragon lord alive, was the teacher of Tom Pendragon, to train him in the world of the dragon lords, a power given to him by Idriath.
They were out in the woods, by a typical spot for dragons, but Merlin could see something was bothering the boy.
"You should speak up, if something is on your mind. When I was still your father's servant, I needed to drag it out of him sometimes."
The young prince, who looked to the playing young dragons in front of them, said nothing for a while. He only kept looking at them.
"Master Merlin, what has been the last time you have used your real voice? Your voice for everyone to hear?"
Surprised by that question, Merlin easily jumped in.
"Well, actually..."
He thought about it for a while, but his heart started to beat faster, when he realised the answer.
"Do you still know how to use it?"
After a while, Merlin realised that his answer to that was exactly the same.
He had forgotten. He had forgotten how to use his voice. His vocal voice. His human voice.
"You are concerned about Ygraine, isn't it?" Merlin asked.
"My concern is only for her," Tom replied. "You know master Merlin, I have been speaking to Evander, and I am no fool. I know that what happend to you, will also happen to her. So tell me," the boy asked, fear in his eyes.
"Will I lose my sister?"

In their private chambers, Lucy laid a wet cloth on Ygraine her head.
Since the poor girl had fainted, outside on the training field, she had not regained consciousness since. It worried her.
"How is she?"
Without knocking, Arthur had entered the room. Lucy gave him a soft smile.
"As good as can be expected, my lord. I should-"
"No, you should not be apologising. Merlin and you were trying to protect us from living in fear. You were just trying to help."
"Are you going to tell her the truth?"
"Do you advise we do so?"
"I will leave that completely up to you."
At the same moment, Ygraine started to cough, and slowly regained consciousness. Lucy left the room, to give the two some time alone.