Seventeen

"O drakon Kilgharrah, e male so ftengometta tesd'hup'anankes!"
Night had fallen again in Camelot, and Merlin had gone to his usual meeting spot with Kilgharrah, also known as the great dragon. It did not take long before the dragon appeared at the night sky, and landed in front of Merlin.
"You have changed the words of calling me, young Warlock?" The dragon asked.
"I didn't know if I would get only you, or all the dragons on earth. I had to try something."
"That is very clever of you, Emrys, because now, I am not the last of my kind anymore."
Merlin smiled, because he could feel the dragon his joy. But then he reminded his reasons of why he had to speak with the dragon.
"A lot has happend these past few days, one thing being-"
"Arthur and Gwen are aware of your magic, while you did not reveal it yourself. Yes, I have heard about that."
"Indeed. So... They also know that I am the last dragonlord, and they want to make peace with the dragons. Especially with you."
The dragon turned his head.
"Amongst many circumstances, I have seen that Arthur is not his father. I am listening."
"No man in this kingdom will ever hurt, harm, or hunt a dragon down in these lands. If so, this will be a crime of treason against the word of their king, and will be punished with death."
"That sounds very interesting," the dragon replied.
"The only thing he will ask you in return, is that no dragon will ever attack the castle, cities and villages here in Camelot. Arthur wishes to meet up with you tomorrow morning, but I thought it would be better if you already knew what was coming."
"I thank you for your kindness, young warlock," Kilgharrah answered. "I will speak about this with the others of my kind. Will you be there in disguise tomorrow?"
"Probably, yes," Merlin answered. "Exctually... I had another question. What do you know about the sorceress Ireth?"
"That is not up to me to tell," the dragon answered. "I can only tell you that she is your equal in everything you are, everything what you will be, and everything you Always will be. In the way Arthur and you are two sides of the same coin, Ireth and you are two hands of the same body."
"What is that supposed to mean?"
"Only time will tell."
"Is it strange that I am not trusting her?" Merlin asked. "She shows up, casts this spell, the world is being perfect, and now Arthur and Guinevere are expecting a baby... Seems a bit too perfect to me."
"Camelot will enter a time of beautiful peace, and everything will be full of life. But you must beware, Emrys. Behind the beautiful light hides an awful darkness. Both you and Ireth will enter a terrible time of suffering and pain, to achieve new powers, and to evolve. To prepare yourselfs for the ultimate battle against the witch Morgana, a battle that can only be fought by magic and magic alone."
"But- I don't understand-"
"You must go now, Merlin. We will see each other again in the morning."
Merlin closed his eyes for a second.
"Thank you for your advice."
He and the great dragon said goodbye to each other, and on his way back to the castle, Merlin needed to think.
"Camelot will enter a time of beautiful peace, and everything will be full of life. But you must beware, Emrys. Behind the beautiful light hides an awful darkness. Both you and Ireth will enter a terrible time of suffering and pain, to achieve new powers, and to evolve. To prepare yourselfs for the ultimate battle against the witch Morgana, a battle that can only be fought by magic and magic alone."
Kilgharrah was definettely not telling him the truth about what he knew of Ireth. But he also said that this was meant to be.
There was still a lot he did not understood. When he came back in the chambers of him and Gaius, he was still thinking about his conversation with the great dragon.
"How was your conversation with the great dragon, Merlin?" Gaius asked. Merlin told him the entire story, from the beginning until the end, and ended up with sad eyes, affraid for what was about to come.
He wasn't affraid of pain and suffering, specially when it was for Arthur's sake, and for Camelot. But in the way Kilgharrah had told him... It scared him. It made him feel like he would suffer in a way he never had. Like he never had in his entire life.
"Should I be affraid, Gaius?" Merlin asked. The old man had to think about that for a second.
"I am affraid for what Ireth might bring upon us," he said. His eyes were still brightly gold. When would that ever fade away?
"To cast a spell like she did, you need extraordinairy powers to do that. Like you. She is not an ordinairy sorceress."
"I already thought that. The way Kilgharrah talked about her... I would not be surprised if she was a dragon lady."
"It wouldn't surprise me either," Gaius replied. "According to the dragon, you are each other's equals. That isn't for nothing, Merlin."
"And we will suffer," Merlin said. "We will suffer like we never have before, to achieve new powers."
"It is okay to be affraid for what might come," Gaius answered.
"I am not affraid," Merlin replied.
He was terrified.