Fifty three

Merlin and Lucy didn't leave their room for four days. At exactly the fourth day, Merlin recognised the senses and sensations from the outside world weren't making him nuts anymore. He... He felt in control. For the first time since he had awoken, he felt in control.
"The sensations are in control now, aren't they?" Lucy asked. She sat on their bed, reading a book of magic.
"They are, but the images and memories are still there."
A shiver ran down his spine. They had changed him for ever. No turning back.
"They keep haunting me too," she said. "I know how it feels."
She stood up from the bed, and kissed him on his cheek.
"The weather is beautiful," he said.
"Indeed it is."
Through the window, they could see the city, full in the sunlight. It promised to be a beautiful day.
"I am doubting."
"Doubting about what?" He asked.
"If I will leave the room today."
Merlin rose his eyebrows. "Are you sure?" he asked. Lucy nodded.
"I... I want to try, Merlin. For you. For us."
"I will go with you," he said.
"I might be ready, but will you be ready?" She smiled. As an answer, he kissed her.
"I will go where you will go," he said.
"The sooner we're back-"
"The sooner we can start."
"The sooner we can be together."

They had decided they would start with an easy walk around the castle. The castle was big, but it was easy to begin with.
"Merlin, Lucy, I am going to the market to get some-"
Gaius stopped talking when the door of their room entered. Lucy stood there, in a long purple Dress, with her black scepter in her hand, and Merlin stood next to her, just as Gaius knew him. Ravenblack hair, a neckerchief, and simple clothes.
"The two of you look wonderful," he smiled. He had started to care about Lucy like a daughter, and he was glad both of them seemed to feel much and much more better.
"Thank you, Gaius," Lucy smiled.
"We were thinking about making a walk around the castle," Merlin said.
"I couldn't agree more," Gaius replied. "But remember-"
"If something happens, we need to return immediately," both said. "We know."
Merlin gave Lucy his arm, and they left the room together, leaving a surprised Gaius behind.

Both Merlin and Lucy knew that rumors would reach Gwen and Arthur soon enough, so they had decided in trying to visit them first.
Walking through the castle was surprisingly easy, for the both of them. They felt more alive then ever, but mental... That was the real question.
Physically, Lucy and Merlin had no trouble with walking through the castle. But they needed to hold on to their scepters, what made a ticking sound when it touched the floor, and to each other, something what made them feel so much better.
In the meanwhile, Guinevere was in the nursery, watching over her two children, who were deeply asleep in their cots.
"They will be as beautiful as their parents."
Lucy stood in the door opening, leaning on her scepter. Guinevere started to shine, and immediately embraced her.
"Oh Lucy, you look better then ever," Gwen said. "How... How are the two of you doing? Where is Merlin-? Is he-"
"Oh, he is in the hallway, waiting. We-"
She quitted her sentence, closed her eyes, and groaned. If she wanted to do this, she had to do it gently.
"Are you alright?" Gwen asked.
"Do not worry about me," Lucy said. "I-"
She could see demons in the corners of the room. The demons of her nightmares.
She hold tight to the scepter, closed her eyes, and tried to calm her breathing.
"We are just trying," Lucy said, giving up trying to speak phisically.
"Without the scepter and Merlin, I would have already been long gone."
"I am glad to see you are doing better."
"I am feeling better. Merlin proposed to me."
Gwen her eyes became great from excitement, and she started to smile.
"Congratulations. The two of you deserve it."
"Thank you."
With her mind, she called Merlin inside, and the first thing she did was taking his hand after he had embraced Gwen.
"They are beautiful," Merlin said. "I still can't believe...."
His eyes looked sad. Gwen didn't understood why.
"Arthur made me their teacher," he said with a soft, broken voice.
"We wouldn't want anyone else," she said. "He is in a meeting with some advisors right now," she continued. "He'll be delighted to see you."
"That... Would be interesting," they said. They said Goodbye to Gwen, but after they had left, Gwen was slightly worried.
This were not her friends like she knew them.