Sixty three

Guys, take some advice from me. Never go shooting bow and arrow when you have muscle issues. *ouch*

"Merlin, a word."
Evening had fallen, and Gaius had called Merlin to his Chambers.
"Gaius, I-"
"No, not now, boy," the physician replied. "There is an urgent matter we have to discuss. It is about Lucy, and what you have done to these students of yours."
There was no emotion on the young warlock his face.
"One of your students came to Arthur this afternoon. Showing them what can happen in hell? What were you thinking?!"
No response.
"Well?! Answer me, boy!"
"I am no boy anymore," Merlin hissed. "And they needed to know."
"Why, Merlin? Especially you should know-"
"They need to be prepared."
"Arthur has been talking to Kilgarrah, and his council of dragons. You should not be doing this because of her. Do you really think she would want this?"
"Nothing of this would have happend if her mother-"
"Watch your mouth," Gaius hissed. "You will only make her angry."
Merlin sighed, and closed his eyes.
"I am sorry."
"Good. Do not make it happen again. And Merlin... Have you ever thought of the moment when she needs to give birth?"
Merlin shook his head.
"We both know she will not have the power to do it on her own," Gaius said.
"Don't tell me-"
"Yes I am, Merlin. You'll need to cut the baby out of her. You are the only one who can do it."
"What?! No!" He replied. "I... I cannot-"
"You know how this works, Merlin," Gaius said. "Your magic is the only magic powerfull enough to heal her. You have to do it. For her."
Merlin nodded.
"I know... I know..."
He sat down on the bench in the room, and sighed.
"You have no idea how scared I am."
"Unfortunately, I am affraid that is true," the old man answered.
"The pain... And she..."
Merlin said nothing, but Gaius understood.
"It will need its time," he said. "And you should take that."
"I know."

Time passed. Arthur and Gaius tried everything to keep Merlin busy, but it was simply impossible to keep him away from his wife.
She had moments she started to scream while being unconscious. Other moments she started to bleed out of her eyes, and fired fireballs out of nowhere. Merlin tried many, many spells to take her pain away, to pass it on to himself, but nothing worked.
After a week, his students came to ask Merlin if they could visit Lucy.
Merlin told them it wasn't possible. He didn't want them to see her like this. That was the moment he had realised what Arthur, Gaius, Gwen, and all the others had tried to do.
He buried himself in teaching his students, spoke a lot with his friend the old dragon, and prepared in silence a nursery, unaware if they would be having a boy or a girl.
He accepted the tasks Arthur gave him happily, and kept an eye on Ygraine her magical development.
Both Arthur and Gaius noticed Merlin started to visit her less with the week, and when Lucy had reached her eight month, he only visited her once a week. She had reached the fase of the cocoon, so it could be over any minute now. Merlin... The poor boy had to prepare himself for the worst. Cutting his unborn child out of his wife.
"Master Merlin?"
Merlin had just finished his class about mytical creatures to his five students, while Rowena, one of the girls, did not leave the room.
"I was wondering... It has been so long now. When will Lady Lucy be back?"
"I can't answer that, and you know why," Merlin answered. His scepter lighted blue.
"It... Carolina and I... We miss her. Okay, she haunted us with a stick, but we want her back. With us."
"You don't know how much I want that too," he replied.
Merlin his eyes turned gold. The color of his scepter became bright red.
"Master Merlin?" Rowena asked. "Are you all right?"
He said nothing, but ran out of the room. To Gaius his chambers.