Twelve

"I wanted to know if you have heard anything about Emrys or Morgana."
What he actually wanted to say disappeared somewhere between his mind and his mouth. Merlin's eyes were shining brightly gold, and his gut told him that this wasn't a joke, while his mind told him that it was impossible for Merlin to be a sorcerer.
Merlin could read on their faces that something was wrong, and Arthur saw that the look in Merlin's eyes changed when he looked in the mirror next to Gwen her closet.
Arthur... Arthur did not know what kind of emotion came first. He was disappointed, because Merlin had not told this to him, but he could also feel a certain anger... He was angry because of many things. He was mad because Merlin had not told this to him. He was mad because Merlin had told him lies for many, many years, but the most... He was mostly mad because someone else he cared about had betrayed him, and Arthur had believed the lies that had been told to him, again.
"Arthur... Let me explain. Please," Merlin asked. Gwen laid her hand on his shoulder. His right hand became a fist.
"After everyone... After all this time..."
He was mad because Merlin had not shared his secret with him, yes, he was mad about that. But mainly... He was mainly mad on himself, for the fact that he was such a moron. He had believed the lies his father had raised him with. He had believed the lies of Morgana and his uncle, and now...
"After all the lies people close to me have told me... After all the times people I loved betrayed me... You."
He took his dagger, and laid it down on the table.
"Sweetheart," Gwen whispered. He closed his eyes for a second.
He had believed the lies again.
Someone else dear to him had betrayed him.
Merlin had betrayed him.

"Go out of my eyes," he growled. Fear appeared on Merlin's face.
"But Arthur-"
"Arthur-"
"OUT OF MY EYES!"
In an impulse, Arthur took the dagger from the table, and threw it in Merlin his direction. Guinevere screamed.
The look in Merlin his eyes... He would never forget it.

"Aargh!"
Merlin had tried one of his easier healing incantations, to heal the scratch on his shoulder. For some weird reason, it had only started to bleed more, so he tried to find something to put on his wound.
Arthur... Arthur had thrown a dagger at him, because he had magic. Magic wasn't even back in Camelot for twenty-four hours, or the stupid lies of Ireth had made him reveal himself to two of his best friends, and Arthur had thrown a dagger at him. Arthur had thrown a bloody dagger at him.
He had yelled to go out of his eyes. Well, he would. He would do as his king requested.
Up at one of the middle shelves, he found a little jar with some spices that would make healing go faster. He took the little jar from the shelve, put it on the table, and did a little bit of water into a small bowl, to mix it with the spices. When he took the little jar to open it, he could see the reflection of his eyes in the glass. They were normal again.
How... How was this even possible?
Someone knocked on the door, and because no one came in after the knocking, Merlin guessed that he or she waited for eventual permission to enter.
"Who is there?" Merlin asked.
"Merlin, it is me, Guinevere."
"Tell Arthur I'll make sure he doesn't need to see me again."
The door opened, and Gwen came in.
"Merlin, please... We need to talk."
Merlin started to mix the spices with the water, and ignored her.
"He... Arthur is not mad about the fact that you have powers, Merlin. He-"
"He made himself pretty clear, Gwen," Merlin said. He put some of the mix on his wound, and his eyes fell on the little spices jar.
The reflection. His eyes were shining gold again. Maybe...
"Merlin, please. He-"
"Save yourself the time, Gwen," Merlin continued. "I know Arthur longer then only today. He isn't the man who apologises. He thinks I have betrayed him."
"He regrets his reaction, Merlin. Please. His anger wasn't about you. His anger was about himself."
This made Merlin stop threating the wound on his shoulder. He was... Surprised.
"What? How-"
"He calls himself a moron, Merlin. He says he is not worthy to be king of Camelot. At first, it was his father who told him lies about the death of his mother. Then, there was the betrayal of Morgana and his uncle. All three of them had told then thousands of lies, and he believed all of them. That you have been lying to him to protect your own secret... It changed something in him."
This changed a few things. Arthur had not fired a dagger at him because of his magic, but he had used Merlin as a dummy for his anger, like he did more often. It did feel a bit like the old days.
"Arthur Pendragon, calling himself a moron? I can call myself a Lucky man, to say that I've witnessed that."
"Merlin, he needs you."
"The clothpole would be dead without me."
"Everyone knows that."
"I'll go talk to him, under one condition."
"Of course, tell me what it is," Gwen said.
"Look at my eyes, Gwen," Merlin said. "Look at my eyes, and tell me what you see."
Guinevere looked at Merlin his eyes, who shined brightly gold, more pure then she had ever seen.
"I see no sorcerer or evil magician. I see you. Arthur his best friend, who has saved him multiple times. And no one can live without you."
Merlin stood up, and smiled softly.
"Unfortunately, that is not the entire truth," he said. Then he left the room.

Hey guys! Djeez, HOW MUCH LOVE CAN A STORY GET? Thank you for your kindness, thank you for your patience, and above all: Thank you for reading. I'll start plotting the line (again), and more chapters are about to come! Do you leave a comment and a vote?

Lots of love,

Kaatjedeee