four

Adam yanked Amy’s hand tighter as they both walked down the stairs. She tried to pry herself away from his grip but he was holding her too forcefully.

“You’re hurting me!” She almost yelled at him as he continued to walk. He entered his bedroom and sat on the bed, finally letting go of his cousin. He looked up at Amy who appeared as if she was about to cry. He knew this as her lip would always tremble and she would blink multiple times.

“Don’t cry.” He shushed her with his hands as she turned away from him, sitting down on his desk chair. “Why did you come here? You should’ve rung me first.”

“I didn’t think there would be a bunch of fucking lunatics in the loft!” She turned to face him and glared at him. “I’m sorry, it’s just that guy hurt me a lot. I even cried myself to sleep last night. I’m allowed to be upset!” She held her head in her hands as she attempted to choke back a sob. Adam sighed loudly as he stood up and pulled Amy’s hands. He made her stand up and fall into his arms. He hugged her tightly and tried to calm her. He hated when she cried, she was like his little sister after all.  

After they both stood there for a while, there was a knock at the door. Mary entered and furrowed her brows in confusion at the pair.

“What the hell is going on? I heard yelling and you’re crying. What happened upstairs?” She was just genuinely concerned. Amy looked at Adam, whose facial expression had fallen into dread as he looked away from both of them. “So, are you going to answer me?” Mary questioned again. Amy decided to speak up since she knew that Adam wasn’t going to say anything.

“It’s nothing, we just had an argument. I’m crying because I’m just…” She paused, trying to think of an excuse. “…a bit emotional at the moment, sorry.” She lied. From the look on Adam’s face and what she saw happen upstairs, she figured that her Aunt was completely oblivious to it all.

“Oh darling, do you want some tablets? Or, a hot water bottle? Coming on has got to be the worst time of the month, always.” Amy cringed at her Aunt and Adam coughed awkwardly. “My periods were always worse when I was younger. Your mother used to have very bad ones…” Her voice trailed off as Amy and Adam both zoned out of her attempt at a conversation. Amy rolled her eyes and mentally slapped herself at her rubbish excuse of why she was crying.

“I’m fine, really. Did you call Mum yet?” She tried to change the conversation.

“Okay Ames. And no I didn’t, I’ll go do it now. You two stop arguing and go back upstairs; Adam you shouldn’t do this when you have your friends over.” She frowned at her son and then walked out of the door. Amy tried to stifle back a laugh which only failed; she burst out with laughter and had to hold onto her sides. Adam just glared at her.

“I never want to hear the word ‘period’ ever again.” He mumbled as he sat back down onto his bed.

“It’s okay Addy; we ladies discuss those things all the time. She obviously forgot you were here.” Amy then sat down next to her cousin and rested her head on his shoulder. They both sat in a comfortable silence for a few moments, before Adam spoke up again. “Sorry you had to see what happened upstairs, there’s a lot you’re unaware of.”