"With all due respect, sir, I would like to hear the evidence of the conclusion that my witnesses have provided." A brief moment of silence passed, until the judge before you finally said, "Of course."

A man from the jury of the opposing side, with a book that once lay on the table he had now held high, as that of a symbol of glory, despite much as it was the opposite. It was one of inevitable doom.

Eyes scanned over the barely visible title, and shoulders tensed in defeat, making you wish you had never brought up the request to begin with. What was going to happen now?  You heard again, again, and again. Any moment now and you were sure you'd be gasping for breath. Nothing, had ever made you feel so pathetic.

"This book is enough of a reliable source. As it reads, Ghouls, I believe, is the name of her kind? In fact, I've done some reading on this yesterday, and I believe the facts are beliavable enough, wouldn't you say, miss (l/n)? This was yours after all."

Breath, breath, breath. 

Your mind was in a desperate whirl, digging for answers; how did they get that? You haven't left your room for a few days before the trial, and-- then it hit you.

On that exact day, when the headquarters were left unguarded, for the sake of aiding to your rescue. That one day, when anyone could have just about broken in and looked through your private belongings. And then came the second question, who?

Your eyes fell on the corporal, his vexed eyes no longer hiding his feelings for your sake. He was beyond upset, mad even, and neither of it was because of you. Not at all, in fact you could tell. It was just in the way that things were going, and were seeming to be heading towards a certain path, that neither of you had even the littlest intentions of ending up in. One in which he would be forced into taking matters into his own hands, and until that point, your time was running out.

"Don't let them think they're getting to you, answer with full confidence, don't let a single word waver." You could vividly remember Levi utter whilst the both of you were in the carriage. This managed to bring back a small portion of your courage. You tried to look as calm as you could, and began to speak.

"On behalf of myself, I would like to point out that what I believe you sir are holding there is a book of ancient mythology, therefore most of the things written on it have no qualification of being real. Simply nothing more than made-up folk lore, and therefore would be very idle to be taken out and randomly thrown on me this way, now would it?" You said, finally feeling as if this was much easier than you had thought. "I can assure you, all of you here, that I am just as you are, a normal human being."

Everyone began to conversate, exchanging opinions, and muttering about whether you were to be trusted or not. Perhaps, a good portion of the crowd had chosen to believe you, you had realized. Firstly, by the way that the stiff faces all around you had began to relax, and then, all it took was the logic to kick in. Fairly put, none of the people here have practically even seen a Ghoul, hence it was just about as close as a fairytale-- just some scary story that they could all toss out of their minds, and hope that it didn't exist. It was better that way, after all. These people needed anything but more human-devouring creatures to worry about in a world that was already so damn full of them.

"And how are you sure that these Ghouls are, as you claim, nothing more than made-up?" Another man spoke up after gaining the judge's approval to speak, repeating the words that you have used.

"Because much as everyone here, I have never seen a Ghoul in my entire life." You put up a lie very easily, feeling as if you were just beginning to get the hang of it.

"That, I am sorry to say, is not entirely accurate." Everyone immideately was silenced by this odd statement. Even you, raised an eyebrow in confusion, and said, "I beg your pardon?"

"Everyone here must know," He said. "That only two days ago, a Ghoul, had been captured. It is now being held captive by the Military Police. So I can assure you, that they are most definetely real."

You shuddered at how he had used the term "it", as if a Ghoul wasn't even a person whatsoever; nothing more than an animal. You supposed that this was the only way that anyone would ever see somebody who was different-- as a monster.

Suddenly, you felt the impact of the cold gazes of the crowd, piercing into your soul and ripping it apart, and something just didn't feel quite right.

"Then why? . . .What does that have to do with me?" 

"Because we know what you have done, (y/n) (l/n). Need I remind you that there are eyes outside the walls, as well?"  

Everyone waited for your response, one that never came, as you felt yourself tick in between the line of consciousness and blacking out.

". . . You know nothing."

A voice that was yours, yet words anything but. Wrists would have soon began to bled from the tight cuffs around them, shivering and struggling to be set loose.

Stop it, stop it, stop it.

Every breath now had become a chore, and yours gaze alone was at a battle to keep itself low on the ground.

"Tell me now, (y/n) (l/n), are you a Ghoul, or not?" The same man mused, awaiting your reply.

If there was a way out, you couldn't see it. Not in this state that you were in-- frustrated and on the brink of slipping away.