Chapter 39: Who Says

"I'm home!" Rachel announced when she walked through the front door.

"Hi Pumpkin!" Leroy Berry replied as he walked past her and gave her a peck on the forehead. He smiled sneakily and continued, "You should head up to your room, there's a surprise waiting for you."

She looked at him, puzzled.

"Hopefully it'll cheer you up from the past few days!" He exclaimed as he walked away.

Finn paced around nervously. Then, he heard the front door slam, and voices murmuring.

Okay, be cool. You know that this is what you want, so don't go chickening out, Hudson! He scolded himself mentally. He took a deep breath and walked towards her adjoining bathroom.

Rachel dropped her bag on the floor and walked to her table to lay down the books she had been holding. She collapsed on her bed and sighed. Whatever the surprise, she knew it wouldn't matter. Nothing could make her feel better. She closed her eyes and thought about her conversation with him earlier.

FLASHBACK.

"You know why it hurt so bad when I found out? Cause it meant you didn't love me."

"That's not true."

"At least not enough to not want to hurt me. You teased me with your love, creating this illusion of short term perfection and then destroying what I thought was reality."

"You thought what we had was perfect?"

"It was an amazing journey that we had Finn."

"I'm really sorry for ruining everything."

Rachel knew pain if she saw it. She saw the look in his eyes and knew that it had been a reflection of her own misery. Kurt's words circled in her mind.

"It doesnt change the fact that he loves you. Why are you pushing him away when he's obviously in your head all the time? You say that love has just got to wait, but you know that you've never stopped. Feelings that came back are feeling that never went away Rachel."

She felt the tears roll down her cheek and she wiped them away angrily. No more crying Rachel, you're done crying. What happened to the strong independent Rachel Berry? Nationals, Nationals Nationals! Focus on Nationals!

Rachel got up and changed into her robe, ready for her shower.

As soon as Finn heard her bedroom door click, he knew that she was inside the room. He racked his brains about the perfect greeting. Just when he felt that he had mustered enough confidence to face her, she screamed at his presence.

"FINN CHRISTOPHER HUDSON! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING IN MY BATHROOM! AND HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN IN HERE?"

"Hey Rach." He replied sheepishly as he rubbed his ears from the ringing.

"Hey Rach? HEY RACH? What is your problem Finn?" She asked angrily.

"Look, I just want to talk. This would only take a minute. I would have called, but I was afraid you'd hang up on me, so I decided to drop by. "

"AND GIVE ME A HEART ATTACK?" She shouted.

"I'm sorry, really. For scaring you. But could you just listen to me?"

Rachel sighed. "I've had a really long day Finn."

"This would only take a minute, I swear."

"Fine. Could you step out of my bathroom now? I'll be done in 30. Then, we'll talk."

Finn looked at the girl and realised she was in her robe. He fumbled out nervously and pushed away the thoughts that were starting to surface in his head.

As Rachel stepped out of the shower and wiped herself dry, she remembered the giant awaiting her in the next room. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and thought to herself, Just hear himout. It doesn'hurt to listen. She took one last deep breath and stepped out.

As her bathroom door creaked open, Finn stood up from her bed. He stuffed his hands into his pocket nervously as he looked at her. "I think you should sit."

She obliged and sat down. He settled himself beside her and took her hand.

"Look, I know that whatever I say now, it's not going to help. But, I love you, Rachel. I always have. It took me this long to figure it out, but that's why I know it's going to take me double the time to make it up to you. And I will. Which is why..."

He stopped talking and kneeled in front of her on the floor. He dug into his pockets and just as he was about to pull something out, Rachel stopped him.

"Finn, what is happening? Please tell me you're not about to do what I think you are."

"Please marry me." He asked as he presented a ring made of paper in front of her.

"Oh god, Could you just please stand up Finn?"

"Rach, I know what I'm doing."

"Finn, please. Before I start hyperventilating, please, just get up." He didn't know what hyperventilating meant, but it sounded bad. So, he got up and took his place beside her on her bed again.

"Finn, why are you doing this?"

"I don't want to lose you Rachel. I've hurt so many people because of this, and it killed me that you had to be the one to walk away with the most amount of pain. I guess sometimes, you're meant to hurt the people around you, especially the ones you love. Because only by hurting them, you'll know how important they are in your life."

"Finn.."

"And look, I'm sorry for that Rachel." He continued. "Because I don't ever want to keep you from something better. Rachel, you deserve the best. I know that once you leave Lima, I would never get that chance with you ever again, so I'm just doing this because I believe that I can make it up to you. Even if it means spending the rest of my life earning that place in your heart."