Chapter 30: Greatest Story Ever Told

Finn took a deep breath and exhaled. He rubbed his hands together and tried to keep his mind focused. This is it, the first public performance where I can officially embarrass myself.

Will Schuester walked to Finn and gave him a pat on the back. "You alright there? You look like you're about to kill yourself."

"Is there a difference?"

Will chuckled at his student's response. "Relax Finn, you'll be fine. If it helps, think of what the song means to you. I'm pretty sure that there's a certain someone that you're singing to. Sing to her then. Let her know what it means. If you can transcend that message, you'll be amazing."

Finn smiled at his advice. "Thanks Mr. S"

"You ready?"

Finn nodded.

Finn spotted Rachel's face in the crowd and she was looking right at him. Then, she gave him an encouraging smile and a thumbs up for good luck. He smiled and took a deep breath.

Thank you for this moment

I've gotta say how beautiful you are

Of all the hopes and dreams I could've prayed for

Here you are

If I could have one dance forever

I would take you by the hand

Tonight it's you and I together

I'm so glad, I'm your man

Finn looked straight into Rachel's eyes and saw that she had fixed her gaze on him.

And if I lived a thousand years

You know, I never could explain

The way I lost my heart to you

That day.

But if destiny decided

I should look the other way

Then the world would never know

The greatest story ever told

And did I tell you that I love you tonight

I don't hear the music

When I'm looking in your eyes

But I feel the rhythm of your body,

Close to mine

It's the way we touch that sends me

It's a way we'll always be

Your kiss, your pretty smile, you know I'd die for

Oh baby, you're all I need

And if I lived a thousand years

You know, I never could explain

The way I lost my heart to you

That day.

But if destiny decided

I should look the other way

Then the world would never know

The greatest story ever told

And did I tell you that I love you,

Just how much I really need you

Did I tell you that I love you, tonight.

Rachel's eyes were filled with admiration after the song. Finn certainly had been working hard during his one-on-one sessions with Mr. Schue. She knew how good he had been. But tonight, his voice brought her to a whole new level. She had never heard a performance, so honest, so true, so raw. When she saw that Finn had disappeared backstage, she rushed towards him.

"Finn, that was amazing." She exclaimed as she gave him a huge hug.

He smiled against her neck. "Thanks Rach, you've no idea what this means to me." He said as she released him.

"No Finn, amazing can't even begin to explain how good that performance was. You were just simply..."

Finn smiled at her and said, "Hey hey hey. You've heard it, that's all that matters. Thank you for being out there for me. You gave me the courage to do that, you always have. Thanks for believing so much in me Rach." He lifted up her wrist and brought it to his lips. "I owe this to you."

An hour later, Will rounded his two big performers for the night. "So this is it, your first duet in front of a live audience. You guys ready?"

Rachel nodded excitedly while Finn stuffed his hands into his pockets. He was still nervous and didn't know what to answer.

"Good, you will be up next after Santana and Mercedes are done with this number. Just relax and have fun." Will said encouragingly before stepping away.

Rachel saw the look in Finn's eyes and said, "You'll be amazing. After your solo, there's no way you would screw this up."

He forced a smile, and walked to the other side of the stage. Just as they heard the applause for the "Dancing Queen" number, Finn took one last look at Rachel and started to walk towards her.

She moved closer and said, "Break a leg?"

He took a deep breath. You don't have anything to lose now, Hudson. Just go ahead and say it.

"I love you."

Rachel's heart soared while Mr. Schuester announced them.

Highway run into the midnight sun

Wheels go round and round

You're on my mind

Restless hearts, sleep alone tonight

Sending all my love, along the wire

They say that the road

Ain't no place to start a family

Right down the line, it's between you and me

And loving a music man

Ain't what it's suppose to be

Boy you stand by me,

I'm forever yours, faithfully

Circus life, under the big top world

We all need the clowns to make us laugh

Through space and time

Always another show

Wondering where I am lost without you

And being a part ain't easy on this love affair

Two strangers learn to fall in love again

I get this joy of rediscovering you

Oh girl, you by me

I'm forever yours, faithfully

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh,

Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh,

Faithfully

Finn took Rachel's hands in his and smiled as they belted out the last lines together. We should be together. He had no idea what was stopping him before. At that very moment, he was clear that he would do anything to make Rachel Berry his. And he was going to tell her that very night.

I'm still yours, I'm forever yours

Ever yours, Faithfully.

As they finished off the last few lines of the song, Quinn stood alongside with the fellow candidates for Prom queen and watched it from the sidelines. This cannot be happening. He's at prom with me, how can he do this to me? Screw her promise. Rachel Berry, you are in for a wild ride. I'll make sure this night will be a night to remember.