Chapter 17: Love Doesn't Have to Hurt

"It's not fair."

"What's not fair?" She asked as she walked over to him.

"Why does Kurt get a kiss and not me?" He whined.

Rachel let out a small laugh and cupped his face. "You're not the jealous sort are you?"

Finn pouted and pointed to his cheek.

Rachel smiled with defeat as she moved towards him.

"It's not fair!"

"What's not fair?"

"Why does she get all the attention and not me? He doesn't even like her that way." Quinn threw her hands up in frustration.

Puck looked at the girl and his heart went out to her. When Quinn called him after school, he was delighted that she was making the first move. He knew that Finn would be with Rachel today so he jumped at the chance when Quinn asked him out. But seeing the blonde girl groaning with confusion, he could help but feel responsible for the one who had indirectly caused her break down. This was after all, the girl whom he had been crushing on since the first time he saw her.

"You're still the head cheerleader, still the one that every girl wants to be and still the one every guy wants to have."

Quinn sighed. Truth is, she wasn't upset about Rachel. She was afraid, afraid of the change in Finn. Because when she was watching him serenade to her, she felt something different about him. He had a twinkle in his eye that she never knew about. And the way he smiled at Rachel as though she was the only girl in his life. When she questioned him earlier, the way he answered her was uncertain, as though he was trying to convince her that there was nothing more to it.

"Puck, you would never lie to me, would you?"

"Of course not."

"Then tell me honestly, do you think she's prettier than me?"

"How can you even think that? When you walk down the hallways at school, everyone would stop and stare. The way you light up when you smile, and how you don't let anyone tell you what you should do. That's really hot in a girl."

"Really?"

"You're perfect, Quinn." He said softly.

She gave him a small smile and reached out for his hand.

"Thank you."

"Finn! Come on, I've got a glee club meeting to go to!" Rachel exclaimed.

"But I only get to see so much of you in a day, why can't you just stay for a little while longer?"

"I've spent almost every waking moment with you. Isn't that enough?"

"No." He pouted and held onto her. Ever since his confession on Monday, Finn had been with Rachel at every chance he could get. He couldn't help but admit that she was growing on him.

"Come on, I'll be heading over to your place with Kurt after we're done. Being away with me for an hour wouldn't kill you."

"But I don't wanna leave you."

"Then sit in on glee club then. You don't even have to speak if you don't want to. All you need to do is sit by the corner and wait until we're done."

Finn wrinkled his nose. He knew what the glee club represented at McKinley. It was the place for the losers. Still, Rachel and Kurt were in it. And seeing that Rachel was now a big part of his social life, he wanted to be a part of something so important to her as well.

"I don't have to sing though right? And you promise that I don't have to do anything." He questioned.

"Let's just go and see what happens shall we?" She replied sneakily as they headed towards the choir room. Rachel knew that there was no way Mr. Schuester would pass up the chance in hearing Finn sing again. Not especially after his break through on Monday.

"Woah, guys. Who have we here? Finn, are you here to try out for glee club?" Will Schuester walked into the choir room, ready for another session of glee club. To see the football captain seating in one of the seats was a pleasant surprise.

"No, Mr. Schuester. Uh, cause Rachel's kind of my girlfriend now, so I just thought I could sit in and wait for her. Don't mind me though; you can just carry on with your songs or whatever it is you guys do here. I'll stay out of your way." Finn replied.

"No, no, no. That is not an option. If a student sits in during our glee club rehearsals, he or she should be ready to sing at anytime."

"But Mr. Schuester, I..."

"Here, why don't you try this song? Rachel can walk you through. Don't think of it as a performance, just enjoy yourself." Will handed Finn and Rachel a sheet music.

Finn was stumped. He didn't want to argue with the man, because well, Mr. Schuester was his Spanish teacher. And yet, he wasn't ready to sing in front of the glee club. Not just as yet.

Rachel took his hand and whispered, "Finn, you don't have to do this if you don't want to. But remember bathroom Finn and confessional Finn. The Finn who enjoyed himself no matter who was listening. I'm right here with you."

Finn smiled and squeezed her hand. He got up from his seat and followed Rachel to the front of the room. Then, he turned to Brad and nodded.

Don't go breaking my heart

I couldn't if I tried

Oh honey, if I get restless

Baby, you're not the kind

Don't go breaking my heart

You take the weight off of me

Oh honey, when you knock on my door

Ooh, I gave you my key

Ooh ohh

Nobody knows it

When I was down

I was your clown

Ooh ohh

Nobody knows it

But right from the start

I gave you my heart

Ohhhh Ho

I gave you my heart

Don't go breaking my heart

I won't go breaking your heart

Don't go breaking my, don't go breaking my

Don't go breaking my heart

When the couple finished the song, the New Directions were at their feet applauding

"I so wanna give you guys a standing ovation right now." Artie Abrams said with a smile.