Chapter 16: Cherish the Moment

Rachel released herself and tried to take everything in. She couldn't believe that the football captain of McKinley had just serenaded to her in front of the entire student body. She couldn't believe that he was willing to risk so much of his status just to pour out his feelings for her. She was overwhelmed.

She reached into his hands and held unto them for the first time. How is it possible that his huge palm, almost twice the size of hers, could be so wonderfully intimidating yet so right at the same time. She felt him giving her a squeeze and she brought their interlocked fingers to her mouth, giving it a peck before speaking up.

"We should go. If we leave now, we still have about 15 minutes until lunch time ends."

He smiled and let her lead him out of the room. Despite his confusion, there was something that he was clear about. She made him happy, and for now, it was all that matters.

Finn walked Rachel to her class after lunch. There was still about a minute or two before the bell for the next period rang.

"So, is it okay if I see you after school? You could come over to my place for a while if you haven't got anything to do." Finn asked. He had a hunch about the cause for his confusion and he felt that by spending a little more time with Rachel might help clear that up.

"Sure." She replied.

Finn smiled at her reply. "I'll wait for you at your locker after school ends. Don't leave without me." He kissed her forehead as she bid her goodbye.

She walked into her Home Economics lesson with a smile on her face and the class ceased to exist over the next hour. For the first time, Rachel couldn't wait for school to end.

Quinn didn't share any lessons with Finn so she could only talk to him after the last school bell rung. She stormed right up to him after seeing his back lean against a wall of lockers.

"What was that about?"

"I was singing to her so that she would agree to be my girlfriend. You knew that this was going to happen, you came up with the idea for a grand gesture. Why are you even asking me about this?"

"You know what I'm talking about. Because it certainly didn't seem as simple as it is."

"That's all, trust me."

"Remember which girl you're acting with, and which girl you're suppose to be with." Then, she stormed off before he could reply.

Rachel stepped out of her class just in time to see Quinn walking away from Finn. She approached the boy, tapping him on his shoulder to let him know that she had arrived. He turned around and welcomed her with a huge hug.

"Hey, I've missed you." He whispered into her hair as he leaned down for a hug.

She nestled her face in his neck, his natural scent surrounding her and she smiled against him.

"It had seemed like it was the longest day."

Back at the Hudson-Hummel residence, Carole was laying out sandwiches for her two boys when she heard the front door slam.

"Carole!" Kurt screamed.

"In the kitchen honey!"

Kurt ran to the kitchen, excited to tell Carole of the news. "You will never believe what happened in school today," he started. "The star-quarterback, my stepbrother, your birth child sang in front of the entire school!"

Carole widened her eyes with surprise. Finn never sung outside the bathroom door!

"And get this, he sung in front of the entire school just so that he could impress Rachel!"

"Rachel? Rachel Berry? Your Rachel?"

"Yes, Miss-Broadway-Barbra-Striesand-Celine-Dion-Diva-Rachel." Kurt exclaimed.

"But it doesn't make any sense. Isn't Finn with Quinn? Why would he be singing to Rachel then?"

"I guess they must have broken up. Because when Finn was singing, Quinn saw everything. But she just stood there watching him. Can you believe it? Finn also mentioned something that happened last night. I mean, when did he start hanging out with Rachel? I knew that he came home pretty late yesterday, but I thought that it was because he was in the library all day! Unless..." Kurt stopped talking when he heard the sound of footsteps and laughter coming from the living room.

He turned his head towards the sound, Carole imitating her stepson.

"Hey mom." Finn greeted his mother with Rachel hiding behind him.

"Hi honey."

"Mom, I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Rachel Berry." It wasn't the first time that Mrs Hummel had met her. But Finn felt that it was necessary to introduce the girl with her new status. My girlfriend Rachel Berry. He liked the sound of it.

Kurt rolled his eyes at the smug look of his stepbrother. Did he have to look so damn proud? Somehow, something was up and he had a queasy feeling about everything. Still, Rachel was one of his best friends. He couldn't even remember the last time she was this giddy with happiness and he was glad that Finn brought out the old Rachel that he missed. She had been busy for too long and maybe Finn was just the cure she needed.

Carole enveloped Rachel into a huge hug. She liked the girl. Rachel was very helpful around the house when she stayed over and she felt that the tiny girl was like a part of their family from the numerous times Kurt talked about her. Now that she was in a relationship with Finn, it made her proud of her son that he was able to date such a wonderful girl.

Finn stared at the two most influential women in his life and smiled. He liked that Carole was able to accept Rachel so readily. Well, it might have been the fact that Rachel was no stranger in their house, Kurt raved about her all the time.

Kurt cleared his throat for attention. "Excuse me, if I may, I'm here too."

Rachel rushed to her best friend, putting her arms around him and slopped a huge kiss on his cheek.

Kurt rolled his eyes at Rachel's affection. She always got extra expressive whenever something made her happy. "I have no idea what's going on, but I expect details." The, he released himself from Rachel's embrace and nodded at Carole, hinting that they should let the happy couple have some privacy.

Finn, who had been begun on his afternoon snack, gave Rachel a frown when they left.