Chapter 38: She is Love

All the memories of him flashed in her head just as the musicians played the first note.

Oh my man, I love him so, he'll never know

All my life is just despair, but I don't care

When he takes me in his arms,

The world is bright, all right

What's the difference if I say, I'll go away

When I know I'll come back on my knee someday

For whatever my man is,

am his forever more

After the first verse, Rachel was close to tears. With every word that she sung, she was hurting inside. She started repeating the same verse and knew that she could never erase him from her life, at least not entirely. He had been a part of her, and he still was.

Oh my man, I love him so, he'll never know

All my life is just despair, but I don't care

When he takes me in his arms,

The world is bright, all right

What's the difference if I say, I'll go away

When I know I'll come back on my knee someday

For whatever my man is, I am his forever more

When she was done, Mr. Schue brought his hand to his chest and stared at the girl. He was lost for words; she had delivered the song flawlessly. She always had, but this time, she had channeled all her emotions, and for that last two minutes, he was speechless at how much she has grown.

Kurt let out a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding. Rachel's solo was amazing. He was dumbstruck at her delivery of the song.They have to get back together. They just have to.

Finn sighed as he braked at a traffic light. He turned on the radio, hoping that music would drown his sorrows.

Didn't you want to hear

The sound of all the places we could go

Do you fear

The expressions on the faces we don't know

It's a cold, hard road when you wake up

And I don't think that I

Have the strength to let you go

Maybe it's just me

Couldn't you believe

That everything I said and did wasn't just deceiving

And the tear in your eye, and your calm hard face

Makes me wish that I was never brought into this place

There goes my ring

It might as well have been shattered

And I'm here to sing

About the things that mattered

About the things that made us feel alive for oh, so long

About the things that kept you on my side when I was wrong

Maybe it's just me

Couldn't you believe

That everything I said and did wasn't just deceiving

And the tear in your eye, and your calm hard face

Makes me wish that I was never brought into this place

And someday, I promise I'll be gone

And someday, I might even sing this song to you

I might even sing this song to you, to you, to you

And I was crying alone tonight

And I was wasting all of my life just thinking of you

So just come back, we'll make it better

So just come back

I'll make it better than it ever was

Maybe it's just me

Couldn't you believe

That everything I said and did wasn't just deceiving

And the tear in your eye, and your calm hard face

Makes me wish that I was never brought into this place

After the song ended, Finn was more determined than ever. He reversed his truck and headed towards the direction of the Berry household.

After glee rehearsals, Kurt offered to give Rachel a lift home. He wanted to talk to her about Finn and Mercedes understood the need to give them a little privacy.

"Let me know how things go!" Mercedes whispered before she ran off.

Kurt nodded and looked at Rachel. "Ready to go?"

She nodded and the pair headed towards the parking lot.

"You would never offer to drive me home Kurt, you know it's not exactly the most convenient place in Lima. Every time you offer to do something for me, it's either you need a favour or you want to talk about something. So spill, what is it?" Rachel asked as she settled herself in his car.

"You know what I want to talk about." He replied as he started the ignition and pulled away.

"Kurt, I've forgotten about everything. Nationals is coming up and I want to focus on getting that trophy."

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that. I know you Rachel, and I know Finn. I've seen the way you two look at each other. Even though it's nauseatingly disgusting, it's love."

"Yeah? Well love has just got to wait now, doesn't it?" She said stubbornly as she crossed her arms in front of her.

He was shocked at her answer. "Does that mean that you've forgiven Finn?"

"No. Where did you get that from? When I said that love has got to wait, I wasn't referring to him."

"Oh yeah? Is there anyone else in your life then?"

"Barbra Striesand."

"Thanks for clarifying your sexuality Rachel." Kurt remarked sarcastically. "But I have awesome gay-dar considering that I'm part of the community as well. So stop trying to give yourself excuses will you?"

Rachel sunk into her seat as she thought back about her performance earlier.

As though Kurt was reading her mind, he spoke up again. "You evidently haven't gotten over this whole thing with Finn. Come on Rachel, how were you able to give such a heartfelt performance without thinking of him? You can lie to yourself all you want but you know that he's worth it."

"I'm really afraid of getting hurt Kurt. You know that this isn't the first time that he has, it means something if he doing this to me for the second time."

"It doesnt change the fact that he loves you. Why are you pushing him away when he's obviously in your head all the time? You say that love has just got to wait, but you know that you've never stopped. Feelings that came back are feeling that never went away Rachel."