Chapter 18: Pretending

"Puck, we have to do something about this!" Quinn paced around the room with her hands folded across her.

Puck sighed. He didn't like seeing Quinn in a mess, but with the angry phase she had on recently, he couldn't help but think that he created a monster. Sure, he liked that he was spending more alone time with her now, but at every single meeting, all she cold do was to complain about how Rachel Berry had taken her man away. He was starting to get tired of all the drama and he wanted it to stop.

"It's not helping me when Finn is spending more and more time with her. I know that look; he is starting to fall for her, Puck. Can't he see that she's just a nobody? We have to do something so that he realizes that he belongs with me!"

"Well, there's nothing that we can do now. It's not like we have evidence that all this is part of a dare."

Just then, Quinn had a brilliant idea. "Puck, you're a genius!"

Puck lit up at her compliment, although he wasn't sure what he said to receive it. "it took you long enough to see it." He replied with a smirk. "But I still don't get it though. Do you have a plan?"

"Ms. Rachel Berry thinks that she's a rockstar now. Well, we'd just have to see about that. I've got an idea, but I need your help. Are you with me on this?" Quinn asked.

Puck nodded. He was willing to do anything to keep Quinn happy. Even if it meant that he wasn't the one that she wanted by her side.

"GOOD LUCK FOR THE TEST TODAY. I KNOW YOU'LL DO GREAT! LOVE, RACH."

Finn smiled at the morning text. Rachel always knew the right way to brighten up his day. He rolled out of bed as he thought back about his conversation with Rachel from the day before.

"You were amazing Finn." Rachel gushed after they left from their first glee club meeting together.

He blushed at the compliment. "How about you? You totally rocked that song. I've heard you sing, Rachel. But it was always through my bedroom wall or watching you at glee club performances for the school. To hear you sing like that with me, I don't know how to say this but it touched something in me. Right here." He reached out to put his palm on his right chest.

Rachel giggled. "Your heart's on the other side of your chest, silly." She leaned forward and took his hand to place it in the right spot.

"Oh, it's beating really hard." He said as he felt his face go red. "You're cool Rachel."

Rachel looked up at his face and smiled. "You're the best boyfriend ever."

Finn remembered looking away after hearing what Rachel said. Over the past week, Rachel had been by his side for everything that happened. And she was there to cheer him on for anything, whether it was when he was working out or studying in the library. He liked that she was willing to stay with him despite her busy schedule. Quinn never bothered to stick around with Finn during the little activities he did, which made him realize something.

"And you're the best fake girlfriend ever." He whispered to himself. He looked at his reflection in the bathroom mirror and smiled sadly. That's when he knew that what he felt for Rachel, was more than just a mutual friend. She had become a big part of his life, and if she found out what he done, she was going to be devastated. Then, he knew what he had to do. But first, he needed to get through the World History test. He let out a huge sigh. Since when did high school get so complicated?

"Hey man, we gotta talk." Puck said in a low voice. He knew he was risking a lot at stake if Quinn caught him talking to Finn. Ever since he agreed to Quinn's plan, she watched him like a hawk despite making him swear that he would keep his mouth shut.

"Can this wait? I've got a test to rush for." Finn replied hurriedly.

"Ok, fine. But meet me at the locker room once you're done. I don't care that you've got to skip a class. This is important." Then, Puck walked away seconds before the bell for first period rung.

Finn didn't have the time to worry over Puck's words. He had a test to sit through, and there was no way he would let anything distract him for the next hour. He worked way too hard to give this up.

"So what is so important that you've made me skip a class for? This better be good, I've got an attendance record to keep." Finn said as he sat down.

"It's about Quinn." Puck spoke up.

Finn sighed at the mention of her name. He hadn't bothered much about Quinn ever since he got together with Rachel. In fact, he was secretly glad that she was leaving him alone and hoped that it would stay that way.

"She thinks you're starting to like this Berry chick. And not fake like, but like like."

"So?" Finn questioned. He still had no clue to where Puck was going with this.

"So is it true?"

"Well, I'm not sure man. I mean, Rachel's cool. And yeah, I get this weird feeling in my stomach whenever I see her. Especially the way she lights up the entire room with her smile. And if someone mentions her name, I get this strange heart jumpy thing. But how can I know I like her more than a friend? We're only 17, we don't know anything about liking other people, do we?"

"That's love dude." Puck replied. He knew exactly what Finn was talking about. Everything that his best friend had mentioned, it was exactly how he felt about Quinn.

"What do you know about love? All you ever do is just bang someone and leave them high and dry. How do you know what love is about?"

"It's about wanting them to be happy because when they're happy, it makes you happy. And it breaks your heart just thinking that you could be responsible for anything else but that. So you would do anything to keep them safe."

Finn looked up at Puck. Before he could answer, Puck stood up.

"You know what you have to do. So you better do it before anyone else gets hurt." Then, he left.

Finn's sigh echoed through the locker room. He had to do something before everything became a disaster. Puck was right, and he was done pretending. He closed his eyes and buried his face into his hands.