Chapter 23: Paint Me in Your Sunshine

Finn woke up and found his stomach grumbling, hinting to him that it was nearly dinnertime. He got out of bed clumsily and headed down. It was Finn's turn to make dinner for the night and Carole had specific instructions that they were not allowed to order from Breadsticks anymore.

Finn made his way to the kitchen, his stomach getting the better of him. Before he entered, he heard movement and assumed that Kurt was one step ahead of him in getting ready for their meal.

"Kurt, I got this. Mum said it was my time, stop fumbling around the kitchen and, oh shi... Ray ray, what are you doing here?"

Rachel whipped her head around.

FLASHBACK.

"So tell me, what other embarrassing nicknames do you have?" Finn asked as he tickled Rachel around her waist.

"Finn! Stop it!" She screamed at the top of her lungs.

"Come on baby, it's part of the relationship code. Each one of us is obliged to share at least one embarrassing nickname that our parents use. Now I've told you that mum used to call me Finnybear, it's your turn!" He replied and attacked her again.

"Okay okay okay! You know how I got the name Rachel right?"

"Uh huh. Your dads were a huge F.R.I.E.N.D.S fan."

"Well don't laugh alright, but there was this episode that Rachel Greene was called Ray ray. And my dads use it on me all the time. They said it was because I shone like the ray of sunshine every time I smiled." Her face blushing harder by the second.

Finn admired the look on his girlfriend's face and pulled her towards him for an embrace. Then he whispered into her ear,

"Well now, you're my ray ray."

Finn was lost for words. He hadn't expected her to be here. Where the heck is Kurt?

"Hi ba ..., Finn. Hi Finn."

"Hi Rach." Finn replied, embarrassed to be caught in his sleeping wear and messed up hair. "Uh, where's Kurt?"

"Right behind you Gigantor." Kurt replied, walking past him.

Oh, thank God, Finn whispered under his breath. He still couldn't get over from the shock that Rachel was standing right in front of him. Thank goodness that Kurt had swooped in to ease the awkward tension that was about to arise between them.

"Seriously Finn, if we were going to wait for you, we'd probably die from starvation before you could even drag yourself out of bed."

"Uh, we?" Finn was still a little tongue tied from the tiny girl's presence.

"Yes we. Rachel's having dinner here and she'll be spending the night." Kurt replied with his back facing Finn as he hovered over the kitchen sink.

"Oh right." Finn didn't know what else to say.

"Well don't just stand there, you think I'm going to let you get away with this? It's your turn to make dinner. Jeez Finn, every time Rachel's around you just have to act like a dork don't you?"

"Kurt! Shut up alright."

Rachel saw that Finn was blushing furiously as he made his way across the kitchen and it brought a small smile to her face. The first one since the aftermath from the day before.

Kurt was deliberately sabotaging Finn. He wanted to let Rachel know that Finn loved her in the subtlest way possible. Come on Mercedes, call me! Call me! He stared at his phone and willed it to ring. All he needed was an excuse to leave these two together. Then maybe, things would work between them.

By default, his phone started ringing and Kurt jumped up in excitement.

"Hey Kurt! You texted me to call you! What's up?" Mercedes voice boomed.

"Oh hi, Mercedes! Yes, yes, that's right. Let me look through my pile. I'm not exactly sure which issue did the article come from but..." Kurt walked away before Rachel and Finn started to get suspicious.

"So..." Finn started.

"Do you need help with that?" Rachel got up and walked to his side.

He turned to her and said, "Uh, that's alright. I got this." And he laughed trying to ease the awkwardness. Why did Mercedes have to call Kurt and ask about beauty products at this bloody time?

"Finn, come here." She opened up her arms, asking for a hug.

Not knowing what to do, he leaned in and wrapped his arms around the tiny girl. She squeezed her eyes shut and missed the feeling of him around her.

"What was that for?" He asked when she released him.

"To break the tension, we were boyfriend and girlfriend Finn, it's silly for us to pretend like we aren't comfortable around each other."

"Yeah, totally." He smiled to himself as he got back to rinsing the vegetables. He was glad that she had stayed on strong even though it killed him that she was so close and yet so far. It reminded him of why he fell in love with her in the first place.

"So what are we having for dinner tonight?" She asked as he set the vegetables into a huge mixing bowl.

"Well, since you're here, I thought we could have pasta and salad. How does that sound? Don't worry; everything's going to be meat free. My mama always taught me to cook according to our guests taste." He replied with a smile, revealing slight dimples on his face.

Rachel smiled, "Well, if that's the case," She took the apron hanging by the refrigerator and put it on her. "My dads did tell me that I make a mean salad dressing."

"Oh we wouldn't want to pass up the chance to taste this awesome dressing now, would we?" He gave her a wink and her heart fluttered. Rachel, be strong. The only way to fix this is if you act normal. There's no point in becoming all needy, he's just going to push you away. Be normal!

"Oh no, we wouldn't." She replied with a smile and he felt his stomach going on a roller coaster ride. Finn, be strong. You did this to keep her safe. Don't wallow in just because she's flashing her amazing Berry smile. Be normal!