Chapter 11: Something to Believe In

Rachel polished off the last bits of her lunch when Finn walked into the kitchen with an empty plate in his hands. Mrs. Hummel was not kidding when she said he ate like a bulldozer. How is it possible that he could eat so much? She wondered as she watched him lean over to the dining table for more.

"Hey Mom, I'm going to be out all day at the library tomorrow." Finn informed his mother while munching on his second serving of waffles.

Carole looked up from the sink and Burt peeked over the morning's paper and raised an eyebrow at his wife. Upon entering the kitchen, Kurt stopped in his tracks with Mercedes close behind after hearing what just came out of his stepbrother's mouth. Finn was spending a day in the library? Kurt was positive that something was not right with him.

"You're going to go to the library? On a Sunday? You do know what a library is for don't you?" Kurt asked as he sat down at the table. He couldn't contain his surprise. He wasn't even sure if Finn knew where the community library was, let alone spending his day there.

"Of course I do. I just really have to nail this test. Luckily, I managed to find a tutor to help me with my studying. Coach is this close to kicking me off the team."

"And who is this…"

"Just a friend." Finn cut Kurt off knowing where the conversation was going. He knew that if Kurt found out Rachel was his tutor, his stepbrother would start getting suspicious over every little thing. It was better to keep it a secret before Kurt could figure out that he was up to something.

Rachel hid a smile after hearing Finn's reply. She knew how Kurt was. He would question her endlessly about why she would be willing to tutor his stepbrother, and lecture her that she was taking on an extra load because he was a slow learner and she would have to put in double the effort for him to understand.

Before Kurt could interrogate any further, Finn got up from his seat and brought his plate to the kitchen sink. "Berry, you ready to go? Mom said you needed to be home in 30."

"Just give me a minute to grab my stuff and we can leave." Rachel replied.

"I'll meet you out by the truck."

And the two of them left the dining area before anyone could say anything.

Finn slammed the front door and turned on the ignition. Before he could put on his seatbelt, his phone started to ring.

"Hello?"

"Hi Finny!"

"Hey Quinn, what's up?"

"Puck asked if I wanted to grab a bite at Breadsticks. You're coming along aren't you?"

Finn hated that Quinn always assumed he would go along with whatever plans she had without checking to see if he was free. He couldn't remember when was the last time he rejected Quinn's invitation without having her kick up a big fuss over it.

"Do I have to?"

"Well, what other plans do you have for the rest of the day anyway?" She snapped.

He knew Quinn too well to retaliate. "Okay, I'll be there. What time?"

"I'm going to get ready now. Pick me up in an hour's time then we would head over. And don't be late." Then, she hung up.

Finn sighed as he clicked his phone off. He was looking forward to spending the rest of his day at home after dropping Rachel off. He knew that his parents were going to be out with Kurt and he could devote the remaining time drumming since no one would be at home to complain about the noise level. The problem with dating the head cheerleader is that Quinn always chose to control every situation and every person around her. Finn hardly got the chance to speak up about what he thought without her commenting that he was stupid.

Just then, Rachel walked out of the house with her things. Finn got out of the driver's seat and offered a hand.

"Here, let me get that."

"Thanks"

"It's no problem. Get in the truck while I load everything to the back."

Rachel did as she was told and climbed on the front seat. A couple of seconds later, Finn climbed into the driver seat and started to pull away from the driveway.

"So, have you thought about joining our glee club yet?"

"Is it that important if I did? I mean, it's so close to the end of the year and we would be graduating soon. Why would you still bother looking for new members anyway?"

"Because it doesn't matter when you join. Like the quote in the trophy cabinet at school said, by its very definition, Glee is about opening yourself up to joy."

"And you think that joining glee club would make me happy?"

"Yes." Rachel replied.

"So Miss Rachel Berry thinks she has me all figured out." Finn commented teasingly while giving her a side-glance.

"I mean, a voice like yours, it's hard to believe that you don't enjoy yourself when you're singing." She commented with a small smile on her. "Not to mention, with the volume you were going at last night, it seems pretty clear to me that you're not afraid of showing it off." She added jokingly.

Finn let out a small laugh. He liked that she was smart with her responses. She would have given Puck a run for his money if she ever talked to him.

"It's just that, you know how it is at McKinley. Glee club's for losers. Not that I think of you as one. I mean, after last night, I think you're pretty cool. Kurt's in glee club too, so I know for a fact that you glee clubbers are a nice group of people. But I don't think the rest of the people at school get that. You know what I mean?"

Rachel nodded in agreement. The people that go to McKinley can be pretty small-minded and judgmental. Heck, she even thought Finn was one of them until last night when he started to open up to her. Just then, Finn pulled up to the Berry residence. The pair got out of the truck and Finn pulled her things from the back.

"Like what I said, you're better than what everyone else made you out to be. After last night, you showed me that you're beyond the star quarterback stereotype. You're really talented Finn and I believe that you're able to stand up to the rest of the school if you wanted to."

He followed silently beside her; in awe of how determined she was in trying to get him aboard the glee club.

"Thanks for sending me home and walking me to my door. I think I can handle it from here." Rachel replied just as she took her things from him before letting herself into the house.

"You really believe in me that much?" He asked with a small voice.

"More."

Before Rachel could bid her goodbye, Finn leaned in and wrapped his arms around the tiny brunette. Just as she was about to question him, he released her.

"Thanks Rach, that meant a lot to me. I'll see you tomorrow." Then, he turned around quickly and started to walk towards his truck before she could respond.