Chapter 35: Wish You Were Here

Rachel squinted from the afternoon sun as she began to arouse from her sleep. She checked her phone and a flow of messages appeared in front of her. When she was looking through the list, a knock on her door caused her to look up. Leroy Berry popped his head in and saw that Rachel had gotten up. He walked in and sat on her bed.

"Hey sweetheart, how are you feeling?"

Rachel thought back about the series of events and could feel her heart breaking again. She nodded and forced a smile. "I'm a little better daddy."

He looked at her and doubted her words. "You sure?"

She nodded.

"Well, alright then pumpkin. Maybe you should take a bath, it always makes you feel better." He said knowingly. She nodded again and he left the room.

As she stepped out of her bathroom, she looked at her prom dress hanging on her wardrobe. She sighed as she lay on her bed again. Her dad was wrong. This time, a bath did not make her better. Then again, what could? Instead, she spent a longer time in the shower because it was the only place where she could cry without being able to tell the difference between her tears and the running water.

She heard a knock on her door and her two dads walked in. They sat down, trapping her in the middle.

"Hi pumpkin, how do you feel now?"

"Better." Rachel lied as she forced a reassuring smile.

"We're going out to grab dinner in a while, think you can handle being alone for the night?"

"Sure daddy."

"That's our girl." Hiram said with a smile as he kissed her temple. Then they stood up and she fell back into bed.

Just as they were about to exit her room, Leroy turned around and said, "Besides, you've got a couple of guests who are here to see you."

Rachel sat up in fear upon hearing her father's announcement.

"Daddy, what are you talking..."

Hiram looked at the two of them and said, "I really hope that you two could make our baby berry feel better. I would have called Finn to come over, but I didn't have his number."

Kurt and Mercedes looked at each other at the mention of his name.

"Well, I'll leave you two to it then. If you would like to stay over, do ask Rachel to give us a call. We could grab a couple of extra snacks on the way home."

"Have fun kids!" Leroy exclaimed when he left her room.

"I should go in first. You know how she is, she might push you away if she sees you here with me." Mercedes whispered.

Kurt nodded in agreement. "I'll be out here. Come get me when you're done talking to her. "

"Knock knock. Am I welcomed?" Mercedes asked as she peered into her best friend's room.

Rachel looked at Mercedes and gave her a sad smile. "Hey."

"Aw, come on Rachel. Haven't you moped enough?" Mercedes wrapped her left arm around the tiny girl's shoulders and gave her a little squeeze.

"Mers, how does anyone expect me to be okay after what had happened? Just when I thought that everything could go back to the way it was, it didn't. First Finn, and now Kurt too?"

"First, you gotta know that Kurt didn't mean to keep it from you."

"Wait, you knew about this?" Rachel asked angrily. She couldn't take anymore of this. If Mercedes had kept everything from her too, she might honestly never trust anyone again.

"Hold up, I didn't know about anything. Not until last night along with the rest of the school."

Rachel hung her head in despair as Mercedes continued talking. "Rach, Kurt didn't mean to keep it from you."

"And how would you know?" She asked.

"He told me about it."

"And you trust him? Cause frankly, I don't know if I should even believe anything he says right now."

"Rachel, listen to me. Kurt didn't mean to hurt you. After he overheard Finn's conversation with Quinn, he stomped right in and gave him a huge smack on the face. And you know how delicate his hands are, so that is kind of a big deal for him."

Rachel made a small smile at Mercedes' comment. "Well, I should thank Kurt for that. He did what I didn't have the strength to do. If I have a chance right now, I'd hit the daylights out of Finn too."

"So does that mean that you'd forgive Kurt?" Mercedes questioned.

"I just don't understand why didn't he tell me."

"He'll answer that question for you. Kurt!" Mercedes called out to their final element in the trio and the boy walked in.

"Hey Rach." He murmured in fear that she'll throw him out.

"I didn't say that I've forgiven you, so don't go thinking that you're ok."

"I know, I'm sorry Rach, really I am."

She looked into his eyes as he sat beside her on the bed.

"Why couldn't you have told me sooner? You're my best friend, Kurt. To find out like that, it really hurt me."

"Believe me, I had every intention to. But every time I thought about the look on Finn's face, I just couldn't."

"So you chose to protect your brother's reputation and hurt me instead?" She asked as her voice began to tremble. Mercedes gave Rachel another squeeze to remind her that she wasn't alone.

"No Rachel, I didn't choose and I'm not going to choose either. Don't you see that everything was all part of a misunderstanding? He loves you Rachel, he does. He didn't mean for this to happen."

"But it did."

"Which was something that he has been regretting with ever since the day he realized that you meant so much more than his status."

"Oh yeah? So why couldn't he tell me about it then?"

"Would you have forgiven him?"

Rachel paused at Kurt's question. He was right; she wouldn't have forgiven Finn even if he told her earlier.

"Kurt, I was humiliated in front of the entire student body. Not only by the man I loved, but also by you. The only reason why I'm having this conversation with you is because I care about you Kurt."

Rachel took Mercedes' hand and Kurt's into hers and pulled it close to her heart. "The both of you have been the two best friends a girl could ever ask for. No matter what or who comes our way, I would never let anyone or anything come between us. You hurt me Kurt. But also because of the same reason, I love you with all of my heart. The both of you."

She looked at the two of them and saw tears welling up in Kurt's eyes.

"No way. Nuh-Uh. Hell to the no. No way am I allowing any more crying to take place. I think we've suffered enough from last night. Dry up your tears!" Mercedes exclaimed as she tried to control her emotions from getting to her.

Kurt whispered as he dried his eyes with the back of his palm. "I love you too Rach."