Chapter 34: Give Your Heart a Break

The morning sun shone through the windows of the Berry household and Rachel looked at her bedside clock yearning for time to come to a standstill. She hadn't managed to sleep at all and her head throbbed from the pain as she recalled the night before. Ever since she got home, her phone had been ringing off the hook. But she just laid in bed, refusing to listen to anyone. Whenever one of her dads knocked on her door, she just whispered, "I'm really tired."

By midnight, when Hiram Berry knocked on his daughter's bedroom door, Rachel didn't have the strength to reply and refused to answer in hopes that they assumed she had fallen asleep. Rachel sat up realizing that she was still in her prom dress and the memory from the night flashed before her eyes. She sunk back into her bed as she thought about Finn and Kurt's face when she confronted them. A repeated action that she had been doing for the past few hours.

Her alarm clock rang and she stared at it. She simply didn't have the strength to go to school today. I'll just call in sick, I've got perfect attendance so far, and it doesn't hurt to skip a day. She closed her eyes and willed herself to forget about everything that had happened. She was tired, and she needed to sleep. But first, she needed to forget.

Finn trudged towards the bathroom. He barely slept a wink last night ever since he got home. He closed the door and looked at his reflection in the bathroom mirror. He looked like hell, but he didn't care. What else do I have to live for anyway? The person he cared the most for wasn't talking to him despite the number of phone calls and voice mails he had left her. Rachel's words circled around his mind as he thought about her face.

"Well, then you got what you wanted. Because right now, this is over. You've always believed me. So believe me when I say this, I don't ever wish to speak to you again."

It's probably for the best, if she's happier this way. He turned on the bathroom sink and let the cold-water flow through his hands. As he splashed it on his face, he trembled at the temperature. But he remained stoned and oblivious to what the cold water was doing to his skin. He just didn't have the strength to care.

When Finn stepped out of the bathroom, he was met with a pair of depressed eyes similar to his. He opened his mouth but closed it immediately. What's the point?

Kurt looked up and saw his stepbrother's lifeless eyes. As Finn stepped away from the bathroom, Kurt entered and closed the door behind him. He looked at his reflection in the mirror and thought about Rachel's last words to him, the same one that had been haunting him throughout his sleepless night.

"Who are you people?"

He had called her endlessly after she flew out of the gym, but she refused to answer any of his calls. He didn't know what to do, so he tried contacting Mercedes. But even the girl had no idea where Rachel was. Kurt washed his face with the cold water and a shock of adrenaline shot through his body as he splashed his face continuously. He stared at himself in the mirror again. He had to do something to fix this. There was no way he was losing his best friend over a stupid thing his stepbrother did. He just couldn't.

At McKinley, Finn slammed his locker and leaned against it. What am I doing here anyway? It's not like school's going to make me feel better about all that had happened. He watched as the students walk past and whisper excitedly about the biggest night of their life. He thought about Rachel again. It certainly was the biggest night of my life. How can something so good be taken away so quickly? It's like everything was a dream and its time to get up.

He sighed as he thought about his first period, and started to walk towards the direction of his classroom. He didn't know if he could survive one hour Spanish class, let alone the whole day. As he took his seat in Mr. Schuester's class, he buried his face into his hands. It's going to be a long day, he thought to himself as the bell for the first period rung.

Kurt took one last look of the cafeteria before he sat down at his table. He hadn't seen Rachel all day and he was worried. Was she sick? Rachel would never miss a day of school. As Mercedes made her way towards him, Kurt saw Finn walk in with the same expression he saw this morning. What surprised him was that Finn was walking towards his table.

When Finn took his seat beside Kurt, Mercedes sat on the other side of Finn and she leaned backwards. She was about to question Kurt behind the football captain's back when she saw Finn eyeing her, so Mercedes chose to keep quiet.

Kurt and Mercedes started eating in silence while Finn just stared at into space. Occasionally, he would pick the food of his stepbrother's plate, but besides that, he didn't utter a word. Kurt was too lazy to care anyway.

Mercedes saw the Hudson-Hummel brothers and she continued eating quietly. I should have joined Tina and Artie for lunch, this awkward silence is killing me! She wanted to say something encouraging but she knew it wouldn't help. If I say anything, it's just going to make this whole situation worse. Rachel, where the hell are you?