Chapter 39

They were approaching the gate of Greenwood. Arieth looked around, studying the beautiful nature that would soon become her home. She could feel the present of someone, someone who's just been there, watching them, waiting for them. "We're not alone", she whispered into Thranduil's ear. Thranduil looked around, but he couldn't see anything. He got off Malhtaug and led Arieth and the horse towards the gate, his other hand resting upon the shaft of his sword. If they were to be attacked, he would protect them. "I don't think we are in danger, it's not a dark treat I feel", Arieth said. "I hope not", Thranduil said while keeping an eye on his surroundings. He had never felt unsafe in his kingdom, and he hoped it would remain that way.

Suddenly it hit Thranduil who was there, hiding, watching their passage. "All right! Come out! I know you are there!", Thranduil shouted. "What are you doing?", Arieth looked stunned at him. "It's my friends", he smiled. "Or have you becomed my foes, Damrath and Hamlith?", he turned towards some cluttered trees and watched his best friends step out into the light. "Nope, still your friends", Damrath smirked. The three ellyn looked at each other and smiled, lifting their right arms to their hearts and bowing their heads. "Good to see you!", Hamlith said. "Good to be back", Thranduil smiled. His friends looked over his shoulder, at Arieth. "And you must be Arieth of Lórien", Damrath said while walking over to her, shaking her hand. "How did you know that?", she asked. "We've been expecting you", Hamlith said. "Correction; your families have been expecting you. They knew you were coming here". "Galadriel", Arieth said while her heart started pounding in her chest. "She's been watching us in her mirror. She can see everything". "Everything?", Thranduil asked while raising his left eyebrow. "Not that kind of everything", Arieth rolled her eyes. "Good", Thranduil said while his cheeks flushed.

Damrath and Hamlith escorted Arieth and Thranduil to the hall of king Oropher. They were met by half a dusin elves, some new faces Thranduil had never seen before, Lady Galadriel and his father. He swallowed. They were in for some lectures for sure. His actions could not be defended.

Thranduil was right. Oropher and Arieth's families were giving them a hard time, cursing their hasty and immature actions. They were to unite two kingdoms, not to leave them and risk their lives trying to make a statement that thier hearts were free to love whomever they wanted. "Lady Galadriel have seen you, years from now, utterly happy, truly meant to be together. We would not have arranged this marriage if you were not meant to love each other. We just speeded up the process by arrange it, forcing you into it. Middle Earth will face a dark age, and uniting the greatest kingdoms, the most powerful forces, could not be done too soon. Either way, you ran away, luckily into each other's arms, so it worked out for the better anyway. But as a punishment for your rash behavior, disobeying authorities and for having a will not to bow to our will, you will not see each other before the wedding. Arieth is to go back to Lothlórien, and will not return before the wedding is due. Thranduil looked at Arieth, his heart sinking in his chest. He reached for her hand. She took it. "We accept the punishment. Our actions are not to be excused, and we'll take full responisbility for running away without full and utter reason to do so".