A Shadowed Birthright - Chapter Six

Start from the beginning

At that, Adrien's eyes widen a fraction before resuming their normal look and I throw Remy a subtle flat look from the corner of my eye. Couldn't he have picked a better cover story?

"Is that so?" Adrien replies slowly, taking a sip and swirling the bubbling liquid around in his champagne glass. He gazes at Remy, his eyes narrowing ever so slightly. "It's funny because I've never heard of you and with what you sold for the heavy price I would've known who you are within an hour of the security system being sold."

I immediately glance at Remy from the corner of my eye as he holds Adrien's calculating stare with his own nonchalant one. We stand there in awkward silence despite the music and chatter around us, Adrien and Remy refusing to break eye contact in the name of male pride. I glance between the two before internally rolling my eyes.

Men will always be men. They compete against each other over the littlest things and unfortunately, I'm in the middle of it. What makes it even worse is that the 'competition' is occurring between my partner and the target, which I might add, is the key to the artefact we need to retrieve. I just hope Remy hasn't forgotten we're on a mission, not a leisure outing.

"Well, I don't like just everybody and anybody knowing about me." Remy suddenly answers, glancing at a woman that sashays her hip provocatively in a skimpy black dress. She glances at Remy seductively from over her shoulder while passing behind Adrien. He smirks seductively at the girl before taking a sip of his drink.

"So, Adrien," I address quickly. I can't stand Remy basically eye-fúcking another woman while I'm right next to him. He can do that in his spare time...when I'm not around to witness it.

The blonde billionaire flicks his eyes over to me, after having scrutinized Remy enough. His eyes immediately brighten a fraction and a charming smile lights up his face.

"A little bird told me you like to collect shoes." Adrien barks out a laugh, taking a sip of his champagne before grinning like a kid in a candy store.

"Imo, that is true," he replies ecstatically. "They are the most wonderful things to be created. We can't go anywhere without them and they are what pulls an ensemble together! It is the most amazing man-made creation ever. If I had the chance, I would worship the man who created them. He changed history with them. Even the one I'm wearing is a collectable. I have three vaults full of shoes that I have collected over the years. One is a beautiful brown decorated with the most intricate design. Another is a plain midnight blue but the texture of the shoe is-"

"Do you mind if I see them?" I interject, placing a hand on his arm and glancing at him from under my lashes. I'm not up for the endless rant about shoes that I can see coming. Frankly, I'm not interested.

Remy swivels his head to me, slightly in shock before chuckling quietly and taking the hand off my back. He pockets his hand when I quickly glance at him from the corner of my eye.

Adrien eyes lighten up in excitement before he quickly takes my martini and dumps it on a tray along with his champagne glass, pulling me towards him and snaking an arm around my waist. He turns to Remy who is looking on with a small smirk on his lips.

"I'm going to show dea my collection," Adrien informs him smugly and I can't help but roll my eyes at the smug smirk on his face. "Why don't you mingle with the rest of the guests."

Without waiting for a reply, Adrien turns me away from Remy, not before I witness his wink, and leads me to the grand stairs.

And...let the mission commence...

- Remy's P.O.V -