9. Regret ☂

Two days after Jefferson and Ella's date, Henry's worry over the memory spell increased. Emma tried to convince Henry everything would work out fine between the two of them, but Henry was not convinced. Things were moving too slowly and he didn't know why Jefferson would wait that long to get his wife and daughter back with him.

Henry made his way to Jeffersons shop (again skipping school) with his backpack and storybook in hand. But once he got there he noticed the close sign was up, and he couldn't see anyone inside.

"Man, I skipped school for nothing?" said Henry to himself as he leaned on the door. Just when he was about to give up, he noticed Jefferson walking towards the shop with a paper in his hand.

"Mad Hatter!" said Henry as he ran towards the man, almost knocking him over.

Jefferson rolled his eyes and sighed.

"I told you to stop calling me that kid. Shouldn't you be in school coloring a book or something?" he said as he walked passed the boy. Henry sighed and ran up to catch up with Jefferson.

"You gotta get your daughter back! She's waiting for you!" said Henry.

"Yeah well, what do you think I'm doing?" said Jefferson as he took out his key and unlocked the shop.

"Mr. Hatter why are you waiting so long? You know what will happen if Ella and Grace don't meet right?!" said Henry as he followed Jefferson inside the shop.

"Yes, of course I know! Your mother warned me already. Heck if it wasn't for her, none of this wouldn't have been happening." sighed Jefferson as he sat on one of the lounge chairs.

"I thought you and my mom were getting along now?"

"We are it's just.."

"What?"

Jefferson shook his head and looked down.

"Tell me why you won't see your daughter! Why are you scared to have her back again?!"

Suddenly Jefferson got up and grabbed Henry's shoulders forcefully.

"Because I left them! I left them both alone!" he yelled.

"And...They'll hate me.." he whispered as he let go of Henry and plopped back down on the chair.

"I read your story Mr. Hatter... I know what my mother ...Regina...did to you and I'm sorry. You just wanted them to have a better life.."

"Ella will hate me once she remembers why I left them...she will want to have nothing to do with me." said Jefferson to himself.

"How do you know that?! Don't you see?! She stayed for a reason! She loves you! She wants you and Grace back as much as you want them! Why are you backing out now?"

" Why do you even care kid? This has nothing to do with you!" said Jefferson.

"Because I know what it's like to get left behind..and if I were Grace, I would want my father to do everything he can to get me back."

Henry placed the story book on Jeffersons lap and headed towards the door.

"Kid, your book!"

Henry turned around and smiled.

"I have a feeling your gunna need it. See ya!" said Henry as he exited the hat shop.

Jefferson sighed deeply and looked down at the book in his lap. He traced the cover of the book with his hands and hesitantly opened it. The book instantly flipped to a certain page where there was a photo of himself, Alice and Grace playing in the woods. Jefferson looked back up at the door making sure no one would come in, then looked back down at the pages and started to read.