2. The Hat Shop♡

Jefferson sighed and took a sip of his tea. Mondays were always a slow day for the hat shop and he hated staring at the door waiting for someone interesting to walk in. He longed for the day he could return back to Wonderland and finally be with his loved one. He missed Alice terribly and life without her was so plain and lifeless. He loved making hats and was grateful of the friends he had met in this town, but he felt as though there was a empty piece in his heart that longed to be filled.

Sighing once more he got up from his chair and prepared to close the shop for the day and take a much needed nap.

~~ ~~ ~~

Ella wandered through the town after her little meeting with Emma's son. She found him rather interesting and strange. She was curious to what Emma was trying to stop him from saying, but she brushed it off after thinking about it too much. She found her self on a street she didn't walk through with Emma and noticed a large hat shop in-between two small stores. Not realizing what she was doing, she walked over to the shop and looked through the windows.

The window displays had all kinds of different hats! Purple hats, bright green hats, hats with feathers, hats with buttons and all different shapes! Even hats with faux birds and fur on it! Ella had never seen such creative designs ... but yet she thought they seemed oddly familiar.

"Curiouser and curiouser..." she said to herself. She peeked further inside and noticed a man that had his back turned from the window. 

"That must be the owner."

She opened the front door and slowly stepped inside. It was even better than the window displays! The shop had very bright colors and a beautiful chandelier hanging from the celling. There were more hats on displayed on the walls and different accessories next to them. There was a owl statue by the window that had large black a top hat with a blood red ribbon wrapped around it, placed right on top of the owls head. 

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid we are about to close." Said Jefferson without turning around.

Ella shifted her eyes back to the man and nodded.

"Sorry mister, your shop is very beautiful I had to take a look!" she said.

Jefferson froze and almost drooped the tea cup he was holding. He recognized that voice anywhere! He slowly turned to face her and his eyes widened.

"...Alice?" he whispered in disbelief.

Ella blinked and tilted her head.

"I'm sorry?" she asked.

Jefferson stepped forward abruptly causing her to take step back and almost tripping over the statute. He wrapped his arms around her waist before she could fall and ended up looking deeply into her eyes.

"Y-you don't know who I am?" he said.

Ella shook her head.

"No, no. My name is Ella, Mister...?"

"Jefferson.My name is Jefferson."

He removed his hands from her waist and shifted awkwardly in place.

"I'm sorry but have we met before Mr. Jefferson? You do seem oddly familiar." said Ella as she looked at him up and down.

He forced a smile and shook his head. He knew what must have happened and he didn't want to think about it. She must came here from Wonderland just like him but lost her memory. Just like everyone in this cursed town. The question was how did she get here?

"No, we haven't. I'm sorry for startling you, I must have mistook you for someone else." he said sadly.

Ella noticed his sudden mood change and glanced at his pocket watch that was in his chest pocket.

"It's lovely...Your pocket watch." she said while smiling.

Jefferson blinked and looked down at it, then pulled it out or the pocket for her to see it.

"It was my fathers, he gave it to me before he passed."

"He had good taste!"

They both chuckled and Ella looked up at him. He had very handsome features for a ordinary Hat Shop owner. She expected a old man to own a shop like this, but he looked rather young. His eyes were bright blue just like the ocean and had a odd shine to them. Realizing she was staring at him she stepped back and handed him back his pocket  watch.

"Well I should get going, my friend is probably worried about me. It was very nice meeting you Mr. Hatter!" she said as she headed towards the door.

"Yes, uhm you too." he said as he watched her walk away.

She opened the door, but before she stepped out she turned around again.

"Oh, what time do you open by the way?" she asked.

Jefferson smiled brightly at the thought of her coming back.

"Ten in the morning , and we close at 6."

"You open that late?" she asked puzzled.

"I do enjoy my sleep Ms. Ella." he smirked at her. She smiled back at him and nodded.

"Well, I shall see you tomorrow then!"

"I will look forward to it."

Ella left he hat shop leaving Jefferson smiling to himself. She had finally come back to him! Of course there was the bad part that she couldn't remember him. But just having her near him was enough for him. His heart beat quickened at thought of holding her again. He walked towards the door and flipped the open sign to closed and shut the lights off. He whistled to himself and made his way upstairs to make himself another cup of tea.

~~ ~~ ~~

When Ella finally reached her shared apartment with Emma, Emma bombarded her with questions.

"Where have you been?! Are you okay? You didn't see anything weird did you?!-"

"Woah, Emma calm down! I just stopped by that cute hat shop down on Elmer's street and met the most interesting man and-"

"You went to the hat shop? And met Jefferson? " interrupted Emma.

"Y-yeah, I was just drawn to it for some reason. He's really mysterious, he also called me Alice! Can you believe that? Ha ha!"

"Damn that was fast." mumbled Emma.

"What was that?"

"Ahem- Nothing I just..."

Emma stared at her friend in shock and stood quiet. Ella sighed and placed her hands on her hips.

"Emma what is it? You've been acting weird ever since I met your son!"

Emma laughed nervously and shook her head.

"Nothing, Nothing! Just tired is all- ahem I should get to bed, I promised Henry I'd take him to school tomorrow ."

Ella nodded and Emma gave her a hug and rushed back to her room. Ella walked over to the window and took a deep breath in. Looking up at the sky she noticed the moon was shaped like a crescent, and smiled to herself.

*END OF CHAPTER* (・∀・ )🎩🌙  I hope you all are enjoying the story so far!♡