New Implanon Today.

"I, um. I missed my appointment to have it changed," I uneasily looked over to Val.

"Well then, that would explain it," she offered a smile. "You know that once birth control stops it can through your body into a hormone frenzy."

"Yeah. I can't believe I forgot though. I've never forgotten," I bit my bottom lip and put my phone back on my bag.

I turned back around to face Valerie and shyly stuffed my hands on my back pockets.

"I'm such an idiot."

"No. You're a busy, new midwife that just opened a successful practice less than a year ago and oh yeah, you're planning a wedding! Girl, you're just stressed! It's easy to forget," she rubbed my arm.

I tried to smile a little, but felt humility creep up.

"But, I do want to run a STAT quant. And do a TV sono to be sure."

I squeezed my eyes shut, knowing that what she was suggesting was exactly what I would have done. It's normal protocol for someone who was in my shoes; Pregnancy test and sonogram. Carelessly forgetting to take or replace her birth control. I rolled up my sleeve, quietly nodding and watched Val slides gloves on and grabs supplies to draw my blood.

Minutes passed and I sat on the bed now with a drape across my lap, undressed from the waist down, waiting for Valerie to come back after taking my blood to the lab. Embarrassment washed over me as I waited for what felt like an hour until she returned. It had only been about three minutes when she walked back in, rolling the ultrasound machine.

She looked at me and saw the shakiness fold over my features.

"Ayla, don't be worried. This is what we do," she said, keeping her comforting smile.

I smiled back with another nod, then laid back on the exam table, scooting my butt all the way to the end. The words ectopic pregnancy wouldn't leave my brain as I laid there. Oh God. I knew it would be a matter of time before Valerie said the words. I'm sure she thought the same thing. Maybe?

First she performed a speculum exam, ensuring that things were closed and normal. Which, thank God, they were. I heard the sonogram machine turn on and Val adjust the sheath cover on the probe. I tried to relax my hips as I felt the cold jelly slip inside and reach my cervix. My head turned directly to the sonogram machine and I watched Valerie work as she slowly moved the probe from side to side.

"No fetal pole, no yolk sac. And I don't see any sitting fluid. Have you stopped bleeding?"

"I went to pee when I got here and when I wiped it was barely light pink. Just barely," I answered.

She removed the probe then picked up the secondary one, to use on my stomach. She rolled it to each of my ovaries and fallopian tubes. She was checking for an ectopic.

"Great. It looks like everything is good here. Totally normal. But I still want to wait for your quant," she added, sliding the probe out. "Mind if I do a manual check?"

"No, not at all," I shook my head.

She rolled her hands on my lower abdomen, finding the size of my uterus.

"Feels normal," she finished. "That quant should be ready in another 15 minutes or so. I threatened them down there."

We both laughed as I sat up on the bed. I changed quickly and walked down the hall to Val's office.

"At first I thought it could have possibly been an ectopic," she said when I walked into the room.

"Yeah, that was my thought too," I agreed before I sat in front of her desk.