Chapter 43: Oaths and Farewells

Read in alternative platform: http://wp.me/p4sbY6-gR

Chapter 43: Oaths and Farewells

He held her loosely and counted to see if she would move from his arms.

She didn't.

An hour later, Cheska stopped crying. They stood in the gloom of his bedroom for a while until she gave Fred a gentle push. He retracted his arms and backed a couple of steps from her.

"I'm sorry," she swiped at her wet cheeks, "for ruining your clothes. You must hate me." Fresh tears welled up her red-rimmed eyes, but Fred would have none it.

"Please don't cry", he begged. "I've ruined it on my own far too many times due to the nature of my job; like that one time a patient puked his guts out on a newly tailored suit", Fred attempted to lighten the mood. "A few tears can't compare to that."

A small frown crept in Cheska's face. "What about the troubles I've caused you? I ruined your vacation. You must despise me."

"Why would I despise someone who hadn't intentionally made my holiday into a —"

"Living nightmare?" she finished for him.

"No —"

"A horror movie."

"That's not —" A bark of laughter escaped him. How could Cheska be adorable and infuriating at the same time? Fred willed himself to keep her at a distance when all he wanted to do was... "Why do you insist that I should hate you?"

"Anyone would run as far as possible from this place after seeing how messed up my family is."

"I'm not just anyone." He sighed.

"You're not exactly a friend, too." She raised her eyes to meet his. When he didn't respond, Cheska bit her lip. "I didn't mean to offend you. It's just..." She shook her head. "I apologise."

Cheska walked past him as his arm shot to grab her. She twisted toward Fred, her brows furrowed at the hand clasped around her wrist.

"What do you want to hear from me, Cheska?" he said harshly. "Should I profess my undying love to you just because of what happened this afternoon?"

She gaped at him as if he'd dealt her a physical blow. Guilt twisted inside him, but he hardened himself against it. She started this, he reasoned.

Really? His conscience prodded him. It didn't look like she was the only one enjoying it. Remember the saying it takes two to tango?

"Is that what you think?" Cheska said slowly.

"What do you think?" he dared.

"I – I don't know." She dropped her gaze to the floor.

Fred tugged her to him. Caught off guard, she stumbled. Her hand came up to steady herself and rested on his chest. Still, she kept her eyes averted and took a step back.

The doctor sensed her retreat and slipped his arm around her waist. His hand pressed on the small of her back to stop her escape. He lifted her chin with his free hand forcing Cheska to look up. Amid the confusion and hurt in those golden depths, he saw something else. Her dilated pupils and uneven breathing meant the close proximity affected her too.

It wasn't because of my ability. Fred couldn't help smile at the small discovery. He dipped his head and planted a gentle kiss on her forehead. I love you.