Part 9 - Please, don't give up

Carrying Stevie in to her home, Lindsey was followed by Karen, Sulamith eagerly greeting them as Lindsey promised to bring her up to her room once she was situated.

He held Stevie close to his chest as he walked up the stairs, Stevie closing her eyes as she was only reminded of the scare that day. It was a month now that she had been in that hospital and though she was talking again, her legs were not always up to walking, Lindsey being her extra pair of legs when she was too weak. They even got her a wheelchair but she hated it, scoffing at is as it was placed near, Lindsey placing her gently down on to the bed.

Lindsey took her hand, placing her fingers against his lips, running his other hand over the side of her face. He knew she was hurting, hurting inside for being betrayed by Roger. She never knew that he would go out of his way to cover up her fall, it really not even being done on purpose, though the way he handled her was. "He's never coming back here, do you hear me?" squeezing her hand and turning her face to make her look at him. "He'll be going to jail for a very  long time," trying to pound that in to her brain. It was just that Stevie was so warm and kind so when someone turned on her, it made her loving heart break in to tiny pieces. No one has ever tried to murder her before and this would be something she'd have a hard time getting over. "Look at me, baby, I will protect you for the rest of my life."

"I'm tired, Lindsey, so tired..." leaning back in to the headboard. "But so glad you're here."

"Of course you are," rubbing her upper arm. "Let's get you in to something more comfortable, huh?" slipping her blouse up over her head and then working on her leggings, unclasping her bra then dressing her in a nightgown. "I made sure to wash your bedding before you came home, I hope you can tell," covering her with the sheets. "There should be no trace of him anywhere," caressing the side of her head that was starting to grow hair again. She refused to look in a mirror, knowing that half of her head was pretty much exposed.

"I don't know what I ever saw in him..."

"Hey," touching her chin, "...don't you start blaming yourself for what happened because you always do this. It's not your fault," leaning in to kiss her lips.

"He was so kind, so generous - I never thought I'd get you back so I took the chance. It's hard being alone, you know? Hard sleeping in a bed all by yourself."

Shaking his head, Lindsey couldn't stand the way she would go through her memories like this, kicking off his shoes and jeans as he got down in to the bed with her. "I love you, Stevie, and you have never failed to be there for me... I am sorry that you let down your guard to allow him in but I want to love you in the best way I know how."

"I can only imagine what would have happened if you didn't come in on time, how I may not be here right now."

"Don't, angel, don't," cuddling her close as she began to cry.

"I love you, Lindsey, and I don't want to ever let you go again. I don't care if you have problems in bed, I don't care if your libido is not of a raging hormonal teenager! I just need this,"  holding him tight while she cried in to his chest.

"I know, I know," rubbing his hands up and down her arm, kissing the top of her head. "You have no clue to what I went through when you were in that coma, fearing that you would never wake up - that I would never hear your voice again. The realizations that came to head have only made me find that I want to marry you... I - I want that with you, to vow from the bottom of my heart, to give you all the love a man can give. You show me so much dedication and to know that you have not shamed me in any form, though I would not blame you if you did, I feel closer to you than ever."

"Yes," cried Stevie, arms wrapped around his torso. "Yes, I want to marry you. I will, I will accept."

Bringing a fist to his mouth, he closed his eyes, coming to terms that they'd made their love once again official. "You will be so beautiful as I lift that veil from your face," sliding down from the headboard to hold her properly.