Part 6 - Rise and fall

Returning home, Stevie sat in the drive with Roger, not saying a word, staring ahead at his headlights hitting against a few bushes. "I don't think you should come inside," she finally spoke, Roger turning off the car as he looked at her shocked. "I know that you are disappointed but I don't want you here when he gets back, I don't want anymore trouble, and he's not himself."

"What is this sudden urge to be his best friend?"

Turning her head, she spoke, "He is  my best friend."

"What does that make me?"

"My boyfriend."

"Stev -"

"No, Roger, he's a mess and if I don't help him then he is going to just dig himself a bigger hole. Don't you get it? Lindsey is not a violent person, he's very confused and how would you feel if your wife of seventeen years divorced you? He's a man that enjoys having a family, being in a family, he's out of place and I have to fix this for him before it's too late."

"Can I least walk you to the door?"

"That'll only lead to a plan to get inside, Roger, I won't play that right now. Go take care of your business and I will call you tomorrow," opening the car door as it dinged, stepping out as she closed the door behind her. Roger didn't even wait till she got inside.

Scooping up her Yorkie, Stevie trailed up the staircase, showering and slipping on her robe. She didn't even bother with the nightgown, wanting a bit of Lindsey's attention as she thought through everything that she should tell him. What was it about the two of them to always ignore this subject? They'd confessed so much love in those fifty years and still they were not capable of bringing themselves together? It drove Stevie mad as she brushed the ends of her hair, placing the brush down while staring at herself in the mirror.

"What's your problem, Stevie? Why do you do this to yourself?" leaning her elbows on to the vanity and placing her fingers together to rest against her lips. This shouldn't be this hard.

***

Lindsey slowly walked with his hands in his pockets, walking up the street that would lead to Stevie's home, praying that Roger would not be there when he returned. His thoughts were of disappointment and loss, kicking himself for allowing to be arrested. What would that show on his record now with trying to win custody of his kids?  What he'd done was made things even worse than they were and how could Stevie see through this? Lindsey feared that now not only did he lose his children but Stevie as well.

Reaching her gate, his prayer was answered, Roger's car no where in sight, feeling a huge weight off his shoulders as he walked up the drive. His first instinct was to run in to that house, pull her in to his arms, then show her everything that he desired but how would she react? Or, how would his body react? Stevie deserved way more than he could ever offer.

With a gentle close of the door, Lindsey removed his shoes and jacket, placing down his keys to head towards the kitchen to quench his undying thirst. It was a relief to feel the cool sensation of water hit his throat, tossing the empty bottle in to the recycling bin then turning to face Stevie. His eyes took in her beauty, long blonde hair up in a messy bun, wearing what looked to be nothing but that silk robe again.

"How was your walk?" crossing her arms over her chest.

"Nice. The air has cooled, woke me up quite a bit."

She nodded. "Lindsey, what caused you to act up like that?"

Here we go, he thought. "Stevie," taking a few steps towards her, "...I came home earlier because a friend of mine kicked me in the ass - not literally but figuratively, pointing out that I had to step up my game if I wanted..." shifting nervously, "...you back."