Part Three

"Chica, you've still got it," you spoke around the cupcake filling your mouth. "God, I missed these. I wish I could bake."

"I'm sure if you could, you would, sweetie." She patted your back. "I'm just glad you came back, after all. We hear you're still singing. I thought maybe you'd be too busy to visit," she added, her voice lowering. She felt bad bringing that up, but it came out before she could stop herself.

You lay your head on the chicken's hard, felt-covered shoulder. "I'm singing, I guess, but it's not going anywhere. I missed this place. I had to practically punch my brother to make him take me this time."

"How come?"

"He kept telling me things change after midnight. He's covering for the night guard."

Your voice was nonchalant and unassuming, but Chica's eyes widened. Night shift? She knew Freddy didn't like your brother, but the rest of them had no problems. He was most likely safe if the bear could hold his anger in check. The damn bear could hold one hell of a grudge.

"Well, sweetheart, the night guard shift is a little bit different, yes. But he'll be fine. I'll have him call you, if you'd like."

You raised your head again. "Call me for what? I'm staying for his shift, too. I hate being at home alone. Makes me feel vulnerable even if I know exactly where every knife and weapon is. I feel... safer here. With him, I mean."

Oh. You were staying. Chica relaxed; if Freddy knew, chances were good there would be no bloodshed tonight.

'That doesn't mean he'll behave...' she thought, and tried not to giggle.

Finished with the cupcake, you politely cleaned up the little area on the table and cleared your throat. "Chica?"

"Yes?"

"......... why is he mad at me?"

"Mad? Who? Your brother?"

"N-No. Freddy. He's avoiding me, isn't he?" The tone of your voice broke Chica's heart a little bit. That bear could be such a pain in the ass! Talking nonstop about you endlessly, and the minute you show up he freaks out and hides? "Chica, is he mad at me or not? I don't remember if I did anything wrong, but--"

"No, sweetie, you didn't do anything wrong." Giving it a bit of a thought, she added, "He's just shy when there's a beautiful woman in his pizzeria." With that, she shuffled away, smiling to herself. If Freddy wasn't going to do anything, then she'd sure as hell start it for him!

He tried to hide it. Chica knew that. But it's hard to hide things from those you've been around for so long. They could read the signs. They weren't about to tell him this, of course, but Chica was both impatient and a romantic at heart.

Maybe he himself didn't know yet.

Speaking of, Freddy sat on the edge of the stage, looking down at the little top hat in his hands silently. His eyes would dart towards you every so often, then that spark would hit, and he'd have to look away again. He didn't know what you were talking about with Chica, but the chicken looked awfully smug when she walked away.

And... were you blushing?

His mechanisms sped up, that spark striking hard this time. Oh no. He couldn't look at you before, but now he couldn't look away. The blood rushing across your face looked incredible. He knew it would be warm, if he could just get closer.

He finally stood, having to walk by Chica to get to you. The chicken muttered something that sounded astoundingly like "Yes, Freddy, that's all for you", and if he could turn red...

He wanted to hit the chicken.

When the bear at last approached you, your burning face had faded to a lighter flush which stayed put as he gingerly sat beside you. The chairs were build sturdier to accommodate the animatronics' weight, but Freddy was afraid he'd break it and crash to the floor anyways.

The thought alone made him want to just power down and hide for the rest of the night.

Your head turned towards him a little, and that sense of peace was comforting. Like you'd done with Chica, you lay your head against the bear, who froze in his place. The sparks kept going, and it was all he could do not to change, right then and there. Sure, the only other employee was your horrible, twisted, sorry excuse of a brother, but Freddy was more concerned about scaring you.

But he wanted to show you. It was all but killing him.

"... are you sure I didn't do anything wrong?" you asked, breaking the silence that had fallen between you.

"You've never done anything wrong," he replied. At least his voice box didn't crack or make static... talk about embarrassing. "But I admit I'm a bit upset."

"Wh-why?" You bolted back upright, eyebrows knitted together.

"You've left us alone for so long. We were sure you'd forgotten us."

'Me. Never mind them, I was sure you forgot about me.'

A selfish thought, but he couldn't help that. He was your favorite, and though he loved kids, he adored you.

'W-Wait. Adore? I... She's grown up well, and if what her damned brother says is true, then she's still singing. She wanted me to teach her. I'm... I'm proud. That's all. Nothing more.'

Chica would've read the denial in his face like the incredibly short menu on the wall: too easily.

You were smiling. "Funny. I thought the same thing. My brother keeps telling me your computers are super advanced. Something about past models having facial recognition and all kinds of fancy crap I don't understand. But... I guess it makes sense. Databases can be updated, so even if a kid grows up and still comes here, you'd know them. Right?"

Not quite. Freddy didn't answer, and it seemed like you didn't want one, as you lay your head back down on his shoulder. Those damned sparks wouldn't quit! He felt so twitchy with his mechanics going all haywire, he wanted to change forms just to feel a little bit less... out of place. A human interacting with something like him, the way you were...

The bear leaned down just a bit, enough to nudge you with his muzzle. "I must tell you something, but I cannot do it now. Not here."

Your curiosity was always bigger than normal, and something like this? An animatronic having a real secret? A little unbelievable, but having been in the pizzeria so often for so long, your mind was open to a lot more. "Why not...?" you asked, slightly disappointed.

"It's... something I keep to myself. I can show you, but... only at night. And I won't do it in front of your brother," the bear added, doing his best not to spit out the last word. He didn't deserve to be related to you; he hardly deserved to be near you!

Was this that thing your brother was trying to avoid telling you? Something about their night mode... was it dangerous? Were you falling into a trap?

No. Your hand reached for the bear's arm and ran down it gently, feeling the felt getting close to threadbare. It would need to be replaced again soon, you thought. But you didn't feel remotely in danger. Not at all.

That touch nearly made Freddy lose his fucking mind, though. His robotic maw worked, twitching, almost asking you to touch him again. It sent more than just sparks into his system. It was like the entire endoskeleton vibrated.

You suddenly giggled. "Hey, Freddy?"

"Y-yes?" No! His voice box was failing him, why now?!

"I'm pretty sure bears don't purr, right?"

"... they do not." What kind of question was that?

"And robots don't purr, either."

"Of course not."

"Then why is your entire body making a weird humming noise?" His eyes widened. The animatronic form was betraying him! "When I did this," you went on, running your hand down his arm again, "you started, like... purring. Is that normal?"

'No. No, it's not, and I look like a fool!!!'