Part Two

"No, no, no, absolutely not! I refuse to bring you! I told you before, I'm not doing it!"

Your brother was supposed to be the man of the house, but he was the one throwing the hissy fit. The pizzeria's owner had called him one Monday afternoon, asking your brother if he could stay that night, that their night guard had the stomach flu. He agreed, but told you he wouldn't bring you for his regular shift that evening.

"I don't understand why!" you called out from your place in the living room. "The place is closed and it's not like it's a dangerous neighborhood! I'll be fine, do you really think I'm stupid enough to go wandering around?"

He sighed heavily, wiping his forehead. "I never said you were stupid. But... there are things that go on there at night that aren't... normal." He almost said "safe", but decided against it.

You were nineteen years old, and even at that age, you still liked going to the pizzeria. It was your home away from home, in a way. Your brother still had his job, still second-in-command to the owner, but had gotten a hefty pay increase over the years. He could support the two of you, but you felt more like a burden than anything.

"... Normal? Really? Spooky shadows getting to you again?" you taunted. "I don't get why a place like that needs overnight security, anyway."

Neither did he, if the company track record was true. "It doesn't matter. You're not going."

You frowned. "It's Monday."

"So?"

"Mondays are boring and I always go with you."

"You're acting like a kid, you know."

"You were the one having a tantrum. If you don't want me around, fine. Fucking leave me home alone, then. See if I give a shit. It's not like I'm any use there, cause I'm no use here, either!" you cried out, angry tears welling up in your eyes. Maybe you were acting childish, but going with your brother to his job felt more like a family tradition now. You enjoyed it, and the two of you had never really fought before. Why now? Over the pizzeria, no less? You hadn't set foot in that place in about a year and a half; you were busy with college courses and trying to do a little job searching, yourself, but it was nostalgia calling you back.

You heard a heavy sigh. "You aren't useless."

"Bullshit."

"You and I both know your agent is trying to get you somewhere to record, sis, but it takes time. I make enough for the both of us, now. I just... I don't want anything to happen to you."

You frowned, confused and angry. "It's a restaurant. It's not deadly. Just keep the knives and spooky shadows away and I think I'll live."

"Why the hell do you even want to go back? You're an adult! What's there for you?"

"My voice coach."

A slapping sound; he'd hit his forehead. "Really? Really? You're being ridiculous."

"So are you."

You felt his weight sink into the couch beside you, an arm wrapping your shoulders in a hug. You didn't fight it, but you didn't return it. "Look. There's something you need to know about that place after hours. It... it is dangerous. The mascots go into some weird night mode that makes them roam freely."

Scoffing, you replied, "They've always done that."

"It's the computer that's the problem. Their night modes don't let them..." He trailed off. If he told you the truth, you'd stop him from going, and he'd been told there had to be a night guard every night. It was Monday, so the animatronics would be pretty easy to manage, at least... "... look. I just worry about you. I know you're convinced those things are more realistic than they are, but they're robots. They have a lot of advanced technology; "teaching" you to sing is probably a part of it."