Chapter Fourty-Two

The following day, Erwin Smith informed us that we were heading to the Stohess district to report to the authorities about the outcome of our most recent mission.

"The journey will not be very long, but I expect you all to behave yourselves while in Stohess. The Military Police are not the best terms with the Survey Corps presently, so act with all the dignity and honor that you possess."

We were informed that the journey would take roughly a day and a half, and that we would leave the next morning at dawn.

Jean had not left my side since the incident after the break up of "Fight Club", as everyone called it. He was constantly on edge, as if I might blow up at any moment. I told him over and over that I was fine, but I could tell that he didn't believe me. Anytime I stood up quickly or looked even remotely angry, Jean would grab my arm and ask me if I was ok and tell me to take deep breaths.

"Jean," I finally told him, as we made our way across the grounds, "Please, can you calm down? I'm fine. I won't blow up again. I promise."

His sigh informed me of his reluctance.

"Jean, you know that when I make a promise, I keep it."

He ran a hand against his scalp, his eyes squeezing shut. "Please," he begged, "Please, don't go back on your word."

I smiled and slugged him on the shoulder. "You care too much, mate."

"It's a fatal flaw," he replied, wincing. He looked at me, and we both grinned.

"Shouldn't we be preparing for our journey to Stohess?" Jean realized.

"Probably," I replied, "But we don't really need to 'prepare'. We shouldn't be in the city for more than a day."

"You know who lives in the Stohess District?" Jeans said, "Annie. She joined the Military Police, remember?"

"Yeah," I said, "I remember. Do you know who else lives in the Stohess District?"

Jean frowned. "I don't remember anyone else from our class joining the MP."
"That's because they're not in the military," I told him, "My family lives in Stohess."

Realization blossomed on Jean's face. "Oh," he said, "I forgot you came from Stohess. What's it like there?"

I thought, remembering the glistening opulence and bustling crowds of the city. "It's nothing like here," I said, "Here's...better."

"What?" Jean laughed. "How can this place be better than Stohess? Every district within Sina is overflowing with wealth."

Sasha trundled up next to us. "I've heard that they can eat meat whenever they want in Stohess," she said wistfully, "It must be heavenly."

"To you maybe," I said, "But the citizens take what they have for granted."

"Do you think your family would let some of us stay with them?" Jean asked. His eyes were glimmering hopefully.

My stomach lurched as I pictured myself at my father's doorstep, begging for lodgings.

As if.

"I don't think so," I replied, "My father has made it pretty clear he'd like to see less of me."

Jean let out a disappointed sigh. "Oh, well. I'm sure the Military Police barracks are nicer than the ones here, anyway."

Sasha smiled. "And the food is better, too. I'll be glad to see Annie again as well. I miss her."

Jean and I exchanged a quick look.