Chapter Seven

I stood there for what felt like years, soaking in the shower of words that I had longed for for the longest time. The feeling of the gain of knowledge was incredible. Gunther was safe, and doing well. I had assumed that he was dead, or had decided that I wasn't worth his time.

The fact that he hadn't written had fed my fear that we could never reconcile our last argument.

"No."

"Ilsie, I need to do this. It's for all of us. I promise."

"No, Gunther, no."

Gunther bent down, his brown eyes meeting my blue ones. At sixteen, he was much taller than me, a short eleven-year-old.

"Ilsie," he said, using his pet name for me, "Ilsie, I need to go. Dad is serious this time, and I don't want to cause him anymore anger. If I go, he won't lash out as much."

"But he still will," I pleaded, "and I'm not strong enough to protect myself. And what about Hansi? Who will protect him?"

Gunther sighed and glanced over to where our little brother, Hans, was sleeping peacefully.

"We need you," I said, "and...I'm scared."

I saw his eyes go moist. He blinked hard and gave me a quick shake.

"No, Ilsa," he said, "Being scared isn't an option. I'm scared, too. What I'm going to do is even scarier than Dad. But I can't allow myself to be overcome by fear. We need to focus on the tasks at hand and get them done. My task is to stay low and get stronger. Yours is to learn more, and to protect Hansi."

"But-"

"And don't say you aren't strong enough. You are strong enough. You will get even stronger, too." Gunther sighed, and then I saw it. The single tear dancing its way down his cheek.

"This is selfish of me," Gunther explained, "And I know that you need me, but no one else wants me here. I'm...sorry."

I stood there, watching my older brother try to explain himself to me. I felt something hot boiling in my fingers. My fist was clenched. As Gunther spoke, I felt the pressure in me beginning to overflow. Barely even hearing Gunther's words, I raised my fist and sent it smashing into his shoulder. Tears burned my cheeks as I flew at Gunther in a frenzy of mad, wild desperation. All I could think of was that he was leaving me. He had promised to be there. He had promised to be there. Now he was leaving. I felt his gentle hands grab my fists.

"I was right," he said, his voice breaking, "You're definitely strong enough, Ilsie."

With that, he grabbed his bag and left the room, leaving me dripping in a puddle of anger.

I looked at the letter. The brief wave of relief was replaced by the jabs of betrayal.

I don't need protection, I thought, I'm strong now, Gunther.

I took the necklace out of my pocket. I studied it for a few moments before letting it drop in the dirt.

"I don't need your protection," I whispered. I felt an odd twinge in my heart, but I pushed it down as I began my walk back to the barracks. There was no time for a shower tonight. I folder up my letter and put it in my breast pocket.

"Oi," came a voice.

My heart leapt in my chest, and started beating so loudly it could have summoned the Titans. I turned, reflexes tensed. Before me stood a stranger. He was about 5'3", with his face hidden beneath his cloak.

"Who are you?" I asked, not letting my voice quiver.

The man bent down.

"You dropped this," he said carelessly.

"Of course I did," I said hotly, "I'm a man. I can't be seen wearing jewelry."

The man pushed back his hood. He made a tsking noise as he surveyed the necklace.

"It's filthy."

"Like that even matters," I snapped, "You still haven't declared yourself. Who are you and what is your purpose here?"

The man rolled his eyes. "I hate the fact that you think you are better than me."

My mouth fell open. "What?"

"Please just shut up and direct me to the Officer's Barracks," he said, crossing his arms and shifting his weight onto one leg.

"Tell me who you are!" I shouted, scanning the surroundings for a weapon. I didn't trust this person. I made my way towards him, intending to block the way towards the officer's barracks.

"Listen, brat," he hissed in a voice dripping with annoyance, "You are testing my patience. Now direct me to Shadis's quarters."

I made my move. My leg shot out, intending to knock the man off his feet. The man casually side-stepped my attack, and somehow I ended up with my back in the dirt. The man was kneeling over me, his hand clenching my hair, directing my neck towards the starry sky. A sword was glinting at my throat.

"I told you," he said into my ear, "not to test my patience, Trainee."

"Yeah?" I gasped, looking into the face of the man, "Well, maybe it's because I still have no clue as to who the heck you are. For all I know, you could have a gun under that cloak and you could be an assassin."

"Well, thankfully for you, I am not an assassin, and despite your most valiant efforts to delay me, I am still going to find Keith Shadis." He removed the blade from my neck and stood up, brushing himself off.

I stood too, coughing a little and rubbing the area where the blade was pressed. I chuckled cynically.

"Wow," I drawled, "Got enough room for all that sarcasm in that short body of yours?"

With a tsk of annoyance, the stranger kicked me over onto my stomach. All of the air in my lungs left me with a gasp.

"Do you have enough room for all that stupidity in that tiny head of yours?" he responded.

With that, he turned and strode off into the night, tossing my necklace over his shoulder. It landed in the dirt in front of me, shimmering with the light of the stars. I grabbed it and put it in my pocket. I watched his retreating figure fade into to darkness before sprinting to the barracks.