Chapter Three

Tousle-Head started at me incredulously.

"You don't know what you're missing."

"I don't believe I caught your name," I called to him.

"What's it matter to you?"

"Well, if Shadis starts evening roll call and you're gone, I know who to cover for."

Tousle-Head turned around, a strange, half-hopeful look on his face.

"I'm En."

"N? Like the letter?"

He growled.

"No. En. E-N."

"Is that a nickname or something?"

"Yes, but don't ask what my real name is. Now, if any of you want to come with me, feel free. I'm going to crash the girls' party."

I climbed down from my bunk, brain racing. The girls needed to be warned. En smirked as my feet touched the wooden planks.

"Oh? So you're actually coming?"

"No," I snapped, "I have to go take a dump, if you don't mind."

The words felt odd on my tongue. Saying the words "take a dump" would have earned me a slap and no supper back at home. Nobility used less coarse terms to describe bodily functions. I pushed past the small group of boys and went out. The second the door closed behind me, I took off in the direction of the girl barracks.

As I approached, I saw three girls outside of the front door. One was tall, with a deep complexion and a cool expression. Another was demonically devouring a loaf of bread. The third girl's face was vaguely familiar, but I couldn't place where I had seen her before. I bent over, gasping as the tall girl turned around and looked me up and down, shoulders tensing defensively.

"Who are you? What do you want?"

"I'm Igor Larrson," I said between breaths. "Watch out. Some other guys are coming, and their intentions aren't as positive as mine are."

The girl rolled her eyes, unsurprised. However, behind her eyes, I caught a hint of anxiety.

"Krista, take Sasha and get inside. Now."

The blond girl grabbed the other girl and they disappeared inside. The tall girl turned around and walked to the door, turning to give me a nod before going into the barrack. I took off back towards the boy barracks. I took a quick stop in the bathrooms and washed my hands to make it look like I had washed my hands, then casually strolled back in.

Nori gazed down at me as I climbed over to my bunk.

"Where were you?"

"Bathroom," I said hastily, climbing into bed.

"No, really." Nori's expressionless face surveyed me.

"In the bathroom," I replied again, turning over to face the wall. I breathed in the scent of the pillow. It smelled of soap. At least this place was clean. I rolled my eyes and pulled the sheets over my head to block out the dim lantern lights. With in minutes, I was asleep.

I was awoken by grunts of pain.

"That was a really stupid move, En," someone said, "We almost got caught."

"I think that Asian chick broke one of my fingers," a second voice hissed.

"Shut up, both of you," En groaned, "I don't want that Igor guy waking up and seeing us like this."

I sat up in bed,

"Like what?" I asked, smiling as I heard En moan.

"Like nothing."

"Shut up and let me see what happened," I said, groping for the matchbox. I lit several lanterns, causing most of the boys to wake up, groaning. I saw En sitting on the edge of his bunk with a bleeding nose and rubbing his left arm.

"Gosh," I scoffed, "I though from the way you were talking, you'd lost a limb at least. I'm really sorry for your suffering."

I didn't bother to veil the sarcasm dripping from my voice. I blew out the lanterns, went back to my bed, and fell asleep. As I drifted off, I heard an unfamiliar voice say,

"What was the point in all that?"