Unexpected Visit/ Bret

% CHAPTER 30 %

I feel the scar on my forehead. It doesn't hurt or anything, but emotionally, it bothers me. I had forgiven my father long ago. I had always tried my best to portray the coolest image of him to my friends so they would think he was the greatest dad in the world, but looking at Taylor's stepfather just puts my dad to shame.

This man is caring, funny, and stays true to the people he loves. He watches out for them and makes sure they are out of harms way. That is what a true father should be like. I admire the fact that he can be playful, yet serious as well. My dad still hasn't got that concept down yet.

"I'm winning!" He shrieks on Mariokart.

I stifle a laugh and smile instead. He also does not know how to play videogames. We had to resort to this game to get him to win, and not just any track, but the easy track. He kept falling off on the rainbow one. What a guy.

I pat him on the back and pause the game. He stares at the controller in amazement. He begins turning it over in his hands, studying every aspect of it.

"You can pause!" He whispers to himself. "What is this madness?"

I chuckle. "I'm going to get a drink of water. Do you two want anything?" I ask politely.

Maria shakes her head. She's just waiting until its her turn. I've noticed Taylor doesn't look too much like her. Sure, there are similarities like the blond hair and soft lips, but Taylor's hair is a shade lighter and her energetic blue eyes are different from her mom's brown ones. Taylor obviously got her figure from her mother, but she didn't get the nose or the way she acted towards me. She did inherit the embarrassing speeches she could announce to the world like her mom though.

Taylor and Lorelei climbed down the stairs slowly. Something was different with her hair though. It looked a little, knappy. Is it safe to say that turned me on or can she read minds? Nope, I think she can read minds. Let's try to stay out of harm's way, Internal-me debates. He is clearly the wise part of me.

Lorelei obviously tried brushing Taylor's hair.

"Here, just put this to the side a little," Taylor's younger sister says professionally while gripping at a piece of her sister's hair.

Taylor winces. "Okay."

Lorelei's brushing strokes are erratic and fast. No wonder Taylor's hair looks such a mess. I chuckle and turn back to the tv screen. I play the game again and let Patrick get a head start. In the end he's wailing though because I still beat him.

"I was on my way to victory!" he whines.

I laugh a little. "Whoops," I say.

I turn back to look at Taylor, to find both girls are looking at me and whispering secretly to each other. Taylor waves her off in my direction.

"Go on," she urges.

Lorelei slowly walks up to me, nervously. I look back at her in anticipation and decide I would look less intimidating if I squatted so I was her height.

"What's up?" I ask her. She had never spoken directly to me before. I was sort of curious.

She gulps and looks back at her sister before turning her attention back to me.

"May I brush your hair?"

My eyes widen. I can see Taylor snickering in my peripheral vision.

"Of course. Go ahead," I say and she beams, jumping onto the couch and patting for me to sit by her.

"Lorelei Bradwick! You know better than to put your dirty shoes on the couch!" Maria calls out.

Lorelei immediately kicks off her shoes. "Yes mommy!"