Some Friendly Competition/ Bret

% CHAPTER 22 %

Taylor beat Luca every time. And I beat her a couple. She was actually really good.

"Bye guys," Luca yells and shuts the door.

I sigh. It's just me and Taylor again. What to do...

"We should go to the beach," Taylor says suddenly.

I look at her in shock. "The beach is three hours away. If we went, we'd have to sleep there."

She shrugs. "I'm okay with skipping another day." Then she turns to me quickly and winces. "Oh sorry you have a life too. I'm probably holding you up."

I smile gently. "It's okay. It's only two days in a year. We'll go okay?"

She nods before it gets silent for a moment again. "What are we going to do?" She asks after that silence. "It's not even Spring yet."

I shrug. "We'll figure it out."

We sit in silence even longer. "So let's get ready then," she says and then she's off.

I hear her door close upstairs before walking up to my room. After changing and putting a shirt on, I head downstairs and grab the sun lotion. The UV rays are still there, no matter how little.

Taylor is downstairs, dressed in something other than her pajamas. She's holding a bag in her hand.

"So what hotel are we staying at?" She asks.

"What?"

"What hotel are we staying at?"

I look down at the floor. "I haven't thought of that yet, but something away from the beach. I'm pretty sure the rooms are more expensive the closer to the water we are."

She nods. "Yeah. Could you make it with two beds please? I don't feel comfortable..." Taylor trails off.

"I get it Tay." I smile gently, to both myself and to her. I finally get to call her Tay. I've always wondered what it felt like, giving a nickname to her. It's pretty nice.

We go outside and get in the car, throwing our bags in the back. Then the drive begins.

About an hour and a half later, Taylor is sound asleep in her seat. Her feet are curled up in the cushions and her hair whips around in the breeze.

I stop the car and get a blanket out of the back before covering her up tight and snug. I get back in the car and push on.

Thirty minutes later, Taylor wakes up. I decide then is a good time to stop at a gas station.

I park the car at a 7/11 and get out. While filling up the gas, I open Taylor's door.

"Come on. Let's go inside."

Taylor follows slowly behind, still a little tired, but waking up fast. I grab a couple of snacks at the counter and pay for the gas.

"Doritos!" Taylor exclaims right when I'm about to pay for the food. "Can I get some please?" She asks, pleading with her beautiful blue eyes. I never could resist her eyes.

"Sure."

She grabs the blue Doritos bag and sets it on the counter. The clerk rings it up.

"Four eighty five," the woman says. I pull out a five and we swap the cash. "Fifteen cents is your change. Here is your receipt."

We get back in the car and Taylor starts munching on her chips. "Want one?" She asks.

I nod and she hands me a chip. I've always liked the Nacho Cheese kind as a kid, but the Cool Ranch actually feels good because it tastes refreshing.