Chapter 31

~Katy's POV~

"We're leaving again. Today." Niall told me, seeming completely calm as he announced the news that made my whole life crumble. I stared at my lap, fuddling with my hands. I felt like crying and screaming and running all at once, but instead I kept my face completely straight. No tears were forming in my eyes and no anger was boiling inside me. I felt empty. And numb.

"Katy? please say something." Zayn softly demanded but I couldn't look up. This was the worst thing that could've possibly happen, but of course it did happen. Not a single good thing that ever happened to me stayed. And if Zayn and Niall leave, I'm left on my own yet again. Without a single thing left. I still stared at my lap and didn't move. I couldn't look at any of them right now, that would make me break, and I don't want that either. I should be happy for them that their career works so well and I don't want to be the selfish girl that holds them back from living their dream. I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt that I held them back and that without me, they could've been happier. So I swallow the lump rising in my throat, force a smile and look up.

"Th-" I start, but have to make a small pause before keeping speaking so that my voice doesn't break. "That's great!" I say, trying to sound as enthusiastic as possible with the best fake smile I can manage. Both of the boys look at me with skeptical looks and deep frowns. I feel the tears rise in my eyes and I have to keep them from seeing them. So I decide to hug Niall who is seated right next to me. My arms are tightly wrapped around him and my eyes are closed as I feel Niall's muscled arms tighten their grip around my waist. I close my eyes and swallow once more before speaking up.

"I am so proud of you." I whisper in Niall's ear and I see how he shivers under my hot breath. I slowly break away from the hug and looking in Niall's eyes. In front of my eyes, there are playing pictures of exactly the same moment that happened only a few years ago. Young Niall with his messy hair appears in my vision and i have to look away before he notices how broken I really am.

Then I look over at Zayn. He is staring at his feet and doesn't notices as I stand up and walk over to him. I get closer and he still seems to not have seen me. So I rush over to him, grab his face and kiss him. He doesn't react immediately, but as soon as he gets what's going on, he kisses back. I pull away, way too soon but I don't want to give Niall a show, And I stare into Zayn's eyes. He had the kind of eyes, someone could get lost in, and I guess I did. I thought of how the beautiful boy in front of me was slowly putting the shattered pieces of my heart back together and how, with the announcement of the news, everything fell apart again. He smiled down at me before kissing lightly the tip of my nose. I smiled a bit at his cute gesture but couldn't get myself to show him a sincere smile. I knew that if I tried any harder to pretend I'm happy, it will break me.

"You want to come over and help me pack?" Zayn asked studying my facial features. I nodded and turned away from him, running up the stairs.

"Where are you going?" I heard Niall shout and I yelled back that I was coming down soon. Then there was nothing else. Just silence. I guess Niall and Zayn just weren't in the mood to talk. They must've been pretty shocked by these news too, so it wouldn't be right if I was mad at them right now, they can't choose when they are leaving or where they go to. It's management that decides and they can't change the plans. They want to get big, so theycan't just rebel against their bosses and they have to do whatever they say so their success can keep growing.

I'd arrived in my room and looked hectically around me, searching for the box under my bed. It was still in the same spot I'd left it and I pulled it out. I stared at the top of the box. It was only a normal shoe case, but I still remember buying the shoes it once held and how Niall loved them. It were my first high heels I had bought at fifteen and I'd only bought them for Niall's birthday party at fifteen. He told me that I was the prettiest girl ever and I was happy for one more week after he'd told me that. I shook my head at the memories flooding through my mind and forced my self to get up and meet the boys downstairs again.