Chapter 4

~Niall's POV~

I made my way through the crowd, forcing myself not to look back. After I was out of Katy's sight and almost at the security check, I couldn't help but turn around. Once I saw her sitting on the floor, her head in her hands, people staring at her and her shoulders shaking from her heavy sobbing, I wished I would've stayed strong and kept walking, because this sight of her was worse than anything I could've experienced if I hadn't looked back. I bit my bottom lip and clenched my fists, while I had an inner argument with myself if I should just run back to her and live a happily-ever-after life with Katy, or if I should be cruel, turn around and just keep walking. 

I don't know what it was, that made me decide, but it must've been something incredibly horrible inside of me that made me turn back around, stare at the floor and zone out her cries and sobs, that I could still hear clearly in my head, following me everywhere I went.

~*~

I'd just arrived at the massive building where hundreds of people were queuing and waiting for their turn to finally get a chance to live their dream. The dream I shared with all of them. The dream I should've been so happy to realize, but the only thing I could think about was Katy. Her cries were still haunting me and made it impossible for me to fall asleep that night. 

I sighed and after having taken place in the long line, I pulled my phone out and dialed Katy's number. She picked up after the first ring, making it impossible for me to think of something I could've said, something that wouldn't make all of this seem so incredibly pointless. A thousands thoughts ran through my head as I heard her soft voice call my name for the second time, waiting for me to say something. Pull yourself together, Niall. You owe it to her. My thoughts were racing through my head and I could barely stutter a 'Hey' out. I heard her giggle at the other end of the line. My mind immediately came to a rest when I heard the magical sound of her laughing.

"You must be really nervous." She said in a soft, soothing voice. When I didn't say anything, she whispered "I understand." Even if she didn't at all.

Of course I was frightened, but not about having to sing in front of thousands of people, but about what would happen to our friendship, what would happen to us. I knew that there was no 'us', and being the idiot I was, I'd made sure that there wouldn't ever be one, as I chose my career over the girl of my dreams.

"Y-yeah." I stammered and she chuckled again. Suddenly, she stopped though, as if she suddenly remembered where I actually was, and that this wasn't the right time to be happy. I didn't know what I could say to her, after I did so much to hurt her, so I just waited for her to speak first.

"Well, call me when you know if you'll get through.." Her faint voice almost whispered and I could hear the lump rising in her throat. I wanted to say something, anything that would make her feel better, but left it to Yes. 

I heard the beeping sound when she hung up. I took the phone away from my ear and stared at it for a while. My background image was a picture of me and Katy. We were holding our ice-cream up and she had some on her nose and was laughing like a maniac. I was looking at her, also smiling. We both looked like we couldn't be happier, but now look at us. We were hundreds of miles apart, and I had to live with the incredible burden of having stayed silent when I should have told her I loved her, more than she will ever know.

~*~

~Katy's POV~

I was sitting on the couch in my living room, watching an old re-run of Friends, but I wasn't really paying attention. I was hugging my knees close to my chest and my look wandered every now and then from the TV over to the coffee table, where my phone was laying, waiting for the screen to light up the dark room and announce how my life would go from here.