17. You Belong With Me

Start from the beginning

I couldn't bring my eyes up from the floor to look into her own because I was ashamed of myself. I couldn't stop myself from kissing Amanda, I didn't care if the girl loved me or not, she knew that I was with Claire and she still kissed me. If I couldn't control myself, she should've at least tried to push me or slap me or anything from letting this happen.

"I hate you." As the words escaped her mouth, I had my eyes stinging from the pain of holding my tears back when all they wanted to do was flow out of my eyes.

"Let's go, Claire. She isn't worth it." Zeke's satisfied voice rang around the room and I was instantly reminded of the day when Jordan had beaten me up and the exact same words came out Kyle's mouth. I am worthless for hurting the people I love.

"And you, I thought you were my friend." Claire, maybe, ignored Zeke as she pointed at Amanda, who stood there smiling in triumph as if she had done something commendable. I had taken my eyes off of the floor as I looked at my girlfriend, she had tears flowing down her beautiful face and all I wanted to do at that moment was wipe away those tears and kiss her eyes. But I couldn't and I regretted the kiss more than anything right now.

"I never was, I just wanted Hayden to remember me again." Claire had a look of confusion when suddenly her eyes opened wide as she glanced at me with a sadness that pierced through me like knives.

She bitterly laughed as her tears still flowed out of her eyes like a waterfall. Her emerald eyes were dark and I was responsible for it.

"Come on, Claire." Zeke urged as he grabbed her arm making her wince slightly. I had taken a step closer to her and wanted to pry that jerk's hand away from her arm, but she already had backed up from him.

"Did you know about this, Ezekiel?" Zeke stared at her with his mouth opening then closing as if he were a fish gasping for water.

"Claire, this-" He was cut off by Claire as she looked at him with a glare making it through his skull that she wanted an answer.

"Yes." One minute, Zeke had his eyes looking into Claire's and the other, his eyes flew to the floor as he held his cheek in the palm of his hand. He quickly looked up at Claire and gave her an angry look as if he was intimidating her but nothing could stop her now.

"You ungrateful bitch." Zeke sneered as he still had a hand covering his cheek while I hissed at him from where I stood.

'How dare he call her a bitch?'

I came forward and into his personal space as I punched his nose as hard as I could and felt satisfied when a crack resonated in the room. He cried as he fell back and I hissed when my knuckles began to hurt as well as my cheek.

A gasp was heard and then I saw Claire grabbing my hand lovingly in her own, soothing my knuckles with tears still streaming down her cheeks. I hesitantly raised my other hand and brought it to her face, making her look at me, before wiping away at her eyes. I knew that I was looking the same way as my own tears streamed down my face.

When she looked into my eyes, I felt like we were the only ones standing in the room and; both Zeke and Amanda were no longer there. Her eyes weren't as green looking as they were before but I could still see the lightness to them that made me caress her cheek.

"I'm sorry." I whispered in a voice barely audible as she closed her eyes, sighing before placing her own hand on top of my own.

"You hurt me, Hayden." She spoke with her voice throaty and cracked, and my heart ached at the pain I had caused her.

"I know. I'm a dick." I spoke with my own voice throaty as her eyes flew open to look into mine again. "I hurt you and I don't deserve you but you should know, that I still love you. I may have been blinded and into the moment too much at the time when I kissed her but I didn't feel the same way whenever I kiss you."

She hiccupped a little as we both heard someone's voice not too far from us.

"You both will pay for this. I'll burn you both." Zeke groaned as he threatened while still cradling his injured, hopefully broken, nose in his hands. Amanda was staring from across the room at me with an unreadable expression.

"I won't even let you come close to her. I'll break your balls the next time you touch her or even yet think about touching her." I sneered at him, as I pulled Claire close to me by her hands making her hide her face in the crook of my neck, shedding her tears still.

He groaned again before I looked straight at Amanda, "I cared about you, but now I don't even want to look at you." Claire let out another sob as I wrapped my arm around her waist and walked out of the room, away from the two people.

I knew, Claire would never forgive me. I couldn't forgive myself but I wanted her to know that I only love her. I wanted her to know that she was my first love, and my last. And that I'll love only her or die hating everyone in this world.

You belong with me, not swallowed in the sea.

-Coldplay