17. You Belong With Me

"Let me explain-"

"There's nothing to explain!" I cut her off as I screamed at her, making her eyes get teary but I didn't care anymore.

"Please, listen to me." She spoke with tears falling from her eyes as she came closer to me to reach for my hand. "My parents wanted to move to New York, I couldn't do anything to stop them."

I shook my head as she explained audibly with tears still cascading down her face.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want to hurt you more than I already did." She came closer to me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"My family died in that accident but somehow I survived; and when I was brought to New York, they had to do surgery on my face since it was in bad condition. I never really wanted to leave you."

I looked into her eyes, her light brown eyes that were filled with emotion as I brought my hand up to caress her cheek. Her eyes were always such a light brown color which made me love them more, and whenever she looked at me, it felt like her eyes were shining. I knew that it was because she cared for me the same way I did.

But her eyes weren't the beautiful green that I loved.

"I loved you, Hayden." She whispered as she placed her head in the crook of my neck, where I could feel her breath hitting my skin.

My heart beat had quickened as I wrapped my shaky hands around her arms to pull her away from me gently. "And n-now?"

She smiled at me lovingly before she came closer to me, close enough to linger her lips over my own. I didn't know what to do and I didn't know if I could even move.

The thoughts going around my head were like panicked people running around screaming 'Don't let her come any closer. You have a girlfriend.' But I couldn't stop myself from leaning in myself, making her breath hit my lips as our lips were merely a millimeter away.

Her lips curved into a smile before I felt them against my own. Our lips moved in sync with each other and her arms automatically tightened around my neck as she began to roam her hands into my hair. Her fingers were running through my hair making me sigh into her mouth.

Claire didn't even cross my mind when I had her in my arms, locking my lips with her own, playing a dangerous game. But the moment when Amanda's bedroom door flew open, the thought of Claire came back to my head as my heart began to thud against my chest in fear and shame.

There stood in the doorway, the girl that was my girlfriend; there stood Claire with that jerk of a best friend of hers, smirking at me and at that moment, I knew I was screwed with.

My arms quickly fell limp by my sides but Amanda's, were still wrapped around my neck making Claire frown with tears welling up in her eyes quickly. The hurt evident in her eyes said it all as she came closer to me with shaky steps while Zeke still stood in the doorway enjoying the scene before him.

I forcefully unwrapped Amanda's arms from my neck and gave her a slight push, as to bring distance between us. Amanda had just been smiling at me, occasionally stealing glances at Claire and the satisfaction in her eyes made me want to puke my guts out and maybe wash my tongue with soap.

This was all a plan of Zeke, all along.

Claire was now close to me, standing just centimeters away as I bowed my head down in shame. I knew what was coming, a slap. And I was right, when my head jerked to the left side almost painfully and the cheek throbbed in pain as a gasp escaped her mouth.